.30 Cal Selection

Dwest910

All,

I have a selection between a gunwerks clymer 30 nosler (22" barrel) and a gunwerks Magnus 300prc (23" barrel). The 30nos will be 8lbs 4oz where the Magnus will be 10lb 3oz (both fully loaded).

l plan to be hunting anything from sheep to moose with it up here in Canada.

If you were to pick one, what would you go with given you only had those two selections. Is the calibre a mute point, would it more come down to the weight?

Thanks for everyone's advice, I appreciate all who replies.

All,

I have a selection between a gunwerks clymer 30 nosler (22" barrel) and a gunwerks Magnus 300prc (23" barrel). The 30nos will be 8lbs 4oz where the Magnus will be 10lb 3oz (both fully loaded).

l plan to be hunting anything from sheep to moose with it up here in Canada.

If you were to pick one, what would you go with given you only had those two selections. Is the calibre a mute point, would it more come down to the weight?

Thanks for everyone's advice, I appreciate all who replies.

Between the two chamberings, "I" would pick the .30 Nosler, not because of weight but more for case capacity.

I personally wouldn't handicap either of those cartridges with those barrel lengths if it were my money.

Agreed! Unless "I" use it suppressed.

I routinely hunt with a 14lb rifle. Last fall it was the snow range in Wyoming. A good sling will mitigate felt weight and physical training will tune the body.

The bigger question here: what do YOU prefer. Does one rifle "feel" more at home with you/your style/your comfort level. Both with push a 30 cal pill down the barrel and both with plenty of velocity to boot. One often over looked question is "can I find non hand loaded ammunition in a pinch, if need be, to save a hunt?"

I routinely hunt with a 14lb rifle. Last fall it was the snow range in Wyoming. A good sling will mitigate felt weight and physical training will tune the body.

The bigger question here: what do YOU prefer. Does one rifle "feel" more at home with you/your style/your comfort level. Both with push a 30 cal pill down the barrel and both with plenty of velocity to boot. One often over looked question is "can I find non hand loaded ammunition in a pinch, if need be, to save a hunt?"

yeah that last question is a big one for sure. I agree about the weight as well, not as big of a deal as it's made out to be. I shoot a savage 111 long range hunter, with bipod and scope the rig weighs 12-13 pounds, something like that. It's chambered in .300 win mag and I wouldn't want it any other way, brass is everywhere and not too pricey, ammo is anywhere ammo is sold even in our small town hardware stores should the "in a pinch" contingency come to pass.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.