30 Cal Mag for Hunting

rootacres

So RULES FIRST, this isn't a caliber debate, I know there are other options, I own some of them.

I just want to hear what everyone likes for a 30 cal magnum hunting rifle and why. . . 300 WM, PRC, WBY, RUM, NOS etc. .

I reload, so we are splitting hairs on costs. Im just curious on performance, velocity, bullets weights, COALs etc.

AND GO. . . .

I personally like the 300 win the best out of them simple yet just plain out works well . I own 2 model 70 300 win , 2 German made 300 weatherby, and a California made 30-378 . They all shoot well and kill extremely well but I like the win mag best . Although I haven't tried any bullets heavier than 220 grains yet either . That maybe a game changer . I've got some 230 gr to try just haven't made time to yet.

All magnum 30's are great choices, great selection of bullets, minimal recoil, high velocities equating to flat trajectories and reduced wind drift, plus some other things I haven't thought of! If you like hunting big game with smallish calibers, it's hard to beat any of the 30 magnums! 😉 memtb

I have had several 300 WM and a RUM I just rebarreled.

To be honest, with some of the powders out now (N570) it is hard to beat the 300 WM. I am just not seeing the benefits in my RUM. Still relatively new to it, so hopefully it will happen for me.

75.5 gr H1000 and a 215 Berger, loaded to about 3.6" and get after it...

I like the WSM for all of the well-documented attributes of Rick Jamison's legendary cartridge. Not least of which is 3 to 5+ lbs lower recoil force vs 300 WinMag.

I bought a Browning Medallion 26" barrel 6 years ago because they're beautiful and have a great reputation for accuracy.

Then my life took some twists and turns so that rifle never got fired. Its for sale on Gunbroker now because during last year's initial wu-flu freakout I found a deal I could not pass on an introductory year 300 WSM Model 70 Featherweight that looked like it had maybe fired a box of ammo and has the smoothest and least play bolt action I've ever experienced next to my Steyr. When I got it home I discovered it had been professionally pillared and action fully bedded. It shoots 180 Scirocco II's to 0.4 moa with what is arguably the finest factory trigger ever produced. In short, I am very happy with 300 WSM. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a 30 cal magnum.

I had a .300 Jarrett when they came out close to 30 years ago. 200 grain bullets at 3028 FPS. It was an elk killing machine.
I think now the .300 rum probably does that. I currently have a .300 WSM being built. Intended bullet is 215 grain Hybrids. Intended target is cross canyon elk, 800 to over 1K yards where I hunt.

For me the 300 Win mag is enough gun to accomplish whatever I need to. I considered the 300 Weatherby and the 300 RUM a while ago but the cost of the ammunition turned me off on them. Recoil is also higher in those more powerful cartridges but that might not be a big problem if you are using a muzzle brake. The big issue for me is the cost of ammunition. If you hand load your cartridges then maybe it's not so much of a concern but at the moment I don't do that. I am buying a handloading starter kit in the near future so maybe I will revisit this issue then but I think it is unlikely I will change my mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.