30 Cal build need help choosing cartridge

jsthntn247

What cartridge would fit these requirements in a 26" tube. 1. 215 hybrid at 2950 without having to kill brass to get there 2. 30-35 degree shoulder. 3. Standard magnum bolt face.

Easy answer to your question... The .300 Ackley Improved Magnum.

3,000 fps is easily attainable with 210-215gr bullets in a 26" barrel without killing brass, 40* Shoulder improves brass life through better cartridge design and cuts down on brass growth, and the main reason... It's just so much cooler to have a wildcat that your buddies have never seen before.

Oh, and forgot to mention, that you form it out of regular old .300 Wby brass with no special prep work. You load up new .300 Wby brass with light loads (about 60gr of RL19 behind a CCI LR primer, and a cheap Nosler 168 Custom Comp or 168 Hornady Interlock), shoot, and out-pops .300 Ackley brass. :D

I just read a post where you built one. Where did you end up getting dies and how did it perform? Any thoughts on a 30 nosler?

The 30 nosler is just a sissy 300 rum, the only advantage it has is brass availability and even on that note I have seen 300 Rum nosler brass. I would think a 300 win mag would work and not need any custom dies or fireforming.

Last edited:
I just read a post where you built one. Where did you end up getting dies and how did it perform? Any thoughts on a 30 nosler?

You will have to order a reamer from PTG, and send a copy of the reamer print to Whidden Gun Works, and they can make you a set of dies.

The only problem with the .300 Ack. is that because it's a wildcat, there is no standardized specs or case dimensions. So, you can't just order a .300 Ackley reamer and dies from somewhere... Which sucks. But, what I have been using, is my RCBS .300 Wby neck-sizer die to neck-size only my brass once they've been formed, and the RCBS .300 Wby seater die to seat bullets. And it is working just fine so far. Once I need a complete set of dies for FL resizing, I'll send a few empty formed cases up to Mr. Whidden, and let him make me a set of dies. But it's been a year, and I'm still on the same initial 50 Nosler brass, and haven't needed to FL size them yet.

There is a real good thread on here about a 30-375 ruger si that also sounds pretty close to what you described

Unless you want a wildcat for the cool factor; just do a 300 WM. Mine shoots a 215 out of a 26" Brux right at 3000 fps using H1000. No custom dies, brass is available, and a 215 at 3000 fps is real nice.

A 300 rum would get you there in a 26" tube; the win may require more pipe length than that or higher than normal pressures.... I believe most of the guys quoting 2900+ fps from 215's in the 300win likely are doing both.

A 300 rum would get you there in a 26" tube; the win may require more pipe length than that or higher than normal pressures.... I believe most of the guys quoting 2900+ fps from 215's in the 300win likely are doing both.

I have no pressure signs and like I said a 26" Brux barrel. Read some of Broz's threads. He was around 3050 fps I believe with his 300 WM. From my experience 2900 fps out of a 26" barrel is very achievable.

I used to have a 300 win mag throated for the 208's. Using RWS brass I got to 2950 with 78.2gr of H-1000 but it was too hot. Maybe just a 300 win with the shoulders blown to 35 degrees would do it because of a few more grains of case capacity?

My 26" 300 win mag starts to show pressure signs around 2950 fps with the 215 hybrid and H-1000.

For 2950+ fps and long brass life you'll want something with more case capacity than the win mag.

The RUM will get you well over 3000 fps with the 215. What velocities are the RUM guys gettin with the 215? Pretty sure you can get over 3000 fps with the 230 hybrid... ?

That's why I suggested the Ackley.... It's in between the WM and the RUM, and you don't have to open the feed rails on your action, and buy a new mag box and follower, like you do with the RUM calibers...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.