30 cal. 180 scirroccos BC?

ncharter

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the 180 scirroccos out of the 300 RUM, as for loads and velocities and long range shots/recovery. I was also wondering if their published BC of .520 was "real world" or not. It just seems to be high to me since the 180 smk is only .475. The reason that I ask about the scirroco is that I am hoping to work up an elk load for my sendero. I know that everyone says that the smk bullets are great for long range shooting of animals but where I hunt you occasionly get shots that are inside 100 yards. I don't know maybe the 190 smk that I am using will be sufficient for that purpose and I will not need to mess with the swifts(really hoping since they shoot really, really well). Anyway, I guess that the pictures on that best bullet page that was posted earlier in the week have me a little spooked. I would just like some input. As always thanks alot everyone..

Nick

I have a .300 Jarrett, similar to the .300 RUM. I have used both the 200 gr. smk and the sgk. On those closer shots , out to 200 yds, these bullets have always blown apart in the animal without exiting. You might want to take a look at the Nosler Accubond 200 gr. as well as the Swift. Though I have not yet used either of these bullets, I have a box of Accubonds sitting on my bench as my rifle prefers 200 gr bullets. I did try the Nosler Partition, but accuracy was lousy in my rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.