30-7mm WSM?

Would you like more Powder Room in the 300 WSM?

• Total voters

Wild Monkey

30 Caliber 7mm WSM - I'm sure it's been done. I missed the boat & now it's caught my Eye. Can we still get any 7mm WSM brass?? What are the Performance figures on this combo in a Long Action? // UPDATE: I have decided to pursue the Wildcat 300-WSM SUPER or "300-SMX" for short. This will require 300-RUM Brass or the User may choose 7mm Blaser Brass & Fire-Form accordingly.

Last edited:
It Should hold 4-8 More Grains Capacity than the 300-WSM.
yup
7wsm has the shoulder pushed out about.04" longer, but has a shorter neck ( about .05" shorter)--this allows just a bit more powder in the 7wsm than the 300wsm case

but remember that the "bane" of the wsm cases is that long heavy high bc bullets cut into the case capacity, and in true short action receivers they don't allow the bullet to be pushed out for longer seating due to the shorter magazine box dimensions--a mid length to long action length are better suited for hand-loaders

yup
7wsm has the shoulder pushed out about.04" longer, but has a shorter neck ( about .05" shorter)--this allows just a bit more powder in the 7wsm than the 300wsm case

but remember that the "bane" of the wsm cases is that long heavy high bc bullets cut into the case capacity, and in true short action receivers they don't allow the bullet to be pushed out for longer seating due to the shorter magazine box dimensions--a mid length to long action length are better suited for hand-loaders

He specifically mentions it on a long action build in the OP

Curious, I have a 300 WSM that I absolutely love

The WSM works really well in a Tikka length action. If going with a true long action I don't see much benefit of a 300-7mm WSM.

The Case design is Extremely efficient. When seeking maximum performance requires 10 grains less to equal longer skinnier Magnums.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. A person could buy a .300 WSM in a SHORT action and that's great and all, but the 7mm-300WSM 'wildcat' gives about 6 more grains of powder? What are we talking velocity-wise? 50 fps gain? 100 fps? Okay...seems like a lot of effort and expense for such a small 'gain', but if that's what trips your trigger, sure...why not?

But if I'm reading this correctly, it's going to go in a LONG ACTION gun anyway? Wouldn't just getting a .300 PRC be...easier?

I feel like I've read this thread three times now and I'm still not "getting it".

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.