30-50 BMG

G

Anyone out there put a nice long 30 cal barrel on a 50 BMG. I have come across a 50 with a damaged barrel. Would this work or should I look at some other combo or not at all.

The only application would be to use a sabot 30 bullet. Was something the military did try. We don't have any powders that are going to work with something so extremely overbore. Sawdust or crushed briquets may work.

We pretty much max out with the 240gr bullet out of a 30-416Rigby size case. WCC872 is the slowest stuff we got.

Jerry

KM, look at the 338 Talbot, it´s a modernized 338/50BMG. It was a true barrelburner. According to Cartridges o t World there was severe erosion after only 150 shots. A 30 caliber would be even whorse. I think that the 375 is the smalles bore that work with the big case with the powders available to us. The 375/50BMG is also called 375 Mach V, I belive.

Jerry. Is WCC872 slower than Vihtavuori 20N29?

Thanks, AKI

Rebarrel it to 50 unless you want a conversation piece.I got a MachV that is way overbore & they dont make a bullet resonably priced to take 5000fps.You could build something off the shorter spotter round but your still gona need all the reloading eqip.
I have ben kicking around the idea of shorting a BMG case down to 120grains for a switch barrel 338 as long as I have the stuff to reload the BMGs anyway but to get started in reloading this animal is $$$$. The case in the middle is a 223 with the 375250grai Barns(MachV) on the left=CJ
37550bmg223.jpg

MachV, what powders and loads have you used with the MachV?

I have played with the thought to shorten the BMG case to about 145-160gr powder for a 338. The hardest question is the one about shoulder angle. A steeper shoulder would reduce brass flow. But with this cartridge the best possible ballistics and accuracy would be of far greater importance. There don´t seem to be any agreement on steep vs slender shoulders based on facts, just some beliefs.

When it comes to bullets one would have to turne one´s own. AKI

Have not shot it a lot,baught it more for a collector than shooting(one of 20 made by Klaus).The loads it came with were 209grains of 872 behind a 250grain Barns @ 4450fps(36" barrel).I tryed 205grains of H50BMG with the Barns got 3725fps and they went into a 1.5" group @ 300 yards(the recoil was very mild).Pickt up some of the new Nosler 260grain BT but have not reloaded any of them yet,doubt they will take the max velosity but we'll see.Heavyer custom bullets would be the ticket but spendy.
The biggest problem we're running into with the shortened cases is getting rid of the BMG primer & finding uniform cases.we should be able to mill the cases even but havent found a sourse of raw brass that we could cut a large rifle primer into.145-160 grains of 872 might be overbore,especialy with the BMG primer.
A 338BR would be great but $$$ & all my funds are goin into a WSM project at the moment,someday though=CJ

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.