30-416 Rigby imp fire forming load???

NEMTHunter

Howdy as the title states I am looking for opinions on fire forming my 30-416 Rigby imp. I have never done this before. And would like some help.

For fire forming I am going to use Hornady brass, H50BMG powder, Federal 215M primers and 200 grain sierra gameking bullets. I do not want to waste the 230smk or 230 bergers fire forming and I happen to have a box of them.

Now I am thinking about trying 110 to 115 grains of H50BMG to fire form. Does that sound about right? Should I seat the bullet into the lands? The cases have been hydro formed and will be full length sized before fire forming the rest of the way.

Base to ogive is about 3.17 " So jammed about 3.20"

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks in advance for you help!

David.

Base to ogive is about 3.17 " So jammed about 3.20"

I also shoot the .30-.416 Rigby improved... I have never wasted barrel life, powder, primer, bullets or time fire forming brass. Load up your go to ammo and shoot. You'll find that accuracy will be a slight notch above your once fired loads.

Thanks for the Information Joel. I have never even fired the gun so I do not have a go to load. And load data is hard to come buy for this round. Mine is different then most 30-416 Rigbys. It has a little more capacity. Not much more but more non the less.

I am looking for a place to start.

Thanks again for your help.

David

I am shooting an improved cartridge as well, (338 lapua improved)
I bought 100 pieces of brass loaded the bullets 15 thou into the lands and fire formed them. Loading the bullets into the lands for forming obviously is best for the brass so all the growth/stretch happens at the neck shoulder instead of down near the base. My other thoughts were, that first 100 rounds gave me a chance to season the barrel and get to know the gun. Then at that point I would start load work up. If you work up a load before then you have to deal with the barrel speeding up around a hundred rounds or so anyway.

I'm shooting 102 gr VV 24N41 with 240 SMK at 3095. 24N41 has a similiar burn rate to VV20N29, 50 BMG, and US869.
If you're sticking with 50 BMG, you may want to rethink your 110-115 gr load.
What degree shoulder ?

I'm shooting 102 gr VV 24N41 with 240 SMK at 3095. 24N41 has a similiar burn rate to VV20N29, 50 BMG, and US869.
If you're sticking with 50 BMG, you may want to rethink your 110-115 gr load.
What degree shoulder ?

Thanks for the Information I appreciate it a lot! I am going to be trying H50BMG and US869. Just thought 50BMG would be a good place to start. I have both on the shelf.

So what would you do with H50BMG for a starting load?

The shoulder is 45 degrees. From the base to where the shoulder starts is 2.537"

Correction on base to ogive is 3.19" not 3.17. Not a big difference but still wanted to clear that up.

Interesting about H50BMG being discontinued.. What will replace it?

I would start around 100 gr of 50BMG and work from there. Not sure what's going to replace it. Not worried as I have about 50 lbs 24N49... lol
I'm running a 35* shoulder on mine.
This rifle usually hangs around moa at a mile. 20 lb rifle all ready to shoot.

Thanks again for the help Joel! I really appreciate it. I was concerned about starting that low with the volume of this case. LOL But it looks like a good place to start.

Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts