30-40 krag load data

Nice rifles, have owned various examples over the years. If not sanded off, on the left side of the wrist of the stock is where the cartouche should be on the wood. If it's the original stock that year is when it left the Springfield armory. The attachments are from Lyman's 50th edition manual, there is some data for N150 with a 220 gr weight. I happened to use IMR 4350 powder with 165 or 220 grain bullets, my powder charge info is not in front of me at the moment. You're wise to stick with a round nose bullet, the design of the action is such that spire points get damaged as the cartridge is cammed upward and to the right as it leaves the magazine.
Krag 1.jpg

Krag 2.jpg

There is lots of history about the Karg, easy to find using a Google search. As far as load data, there is also lots of that but I have never seen it for the Vihtavouri powders you list. I think I might try calling the powder manufacturer or use a powder that is commonly used in the Krag like 4895 for lighter bullets and 4350 or 4831 for the heavier ones. Depending on the riffle you are using it in watch you don't load too hot. Many of the fine old rifles were built for BP. If all else fails and you can find VH load data for a 30-30. start 20% below min and work up.
the 30/40 Karg is a smokeless powder rifle and many of the old speer reloading books have loads for it.

the 30/40 Karg is a smokeless powder rifle and many of the old speer reloading books have loads for it.

You are exactly correct. Like the 30-30 the 30-40 Karag was always a smokeless round, it just used the old BP naming convention. The standard Military load was originally a 220 grain RN FMJ with 40 grains of Cordite. What I should have said is the Krags did not have the better steel that was found in later chamberings of the cartridge in the Winchester 1895 that used their "Nickel Steel" smokeless barrels. They also had pretty weak actions. When the Military hopped up the round to shoot a 220 grain RN at 2200 fps there were a lot of instances of cracked bolt lugs. They recalled the hotter ammo, tore them down and reloaded to the old 2000 fps load. The 30-03 (became the 30-06) was adopted shortly there after.

You need to buy The Krag Rifle Story (Frank Mallory). One on Ebay for $200 OR The Krag Rifle by Brophy, some on Amazon for around $250.
You have a rifle worth $1-2000 so investing in a standard reference book is smart.
I got both of them for 4000nok that equals to about 500USD. Guess can say I was lucky.
1-2k? The 8mm or the 30?
Nice rifles, have owned various examples over the years. If not sanded off, on the left side of the wrist of the stock is where the cartouche should be on the wood. If it's the original stock that year is when it left the Springfield armory. The attachments are from Lyman's 50th edition manual, there is some data for N150 with a 220 gr weight. I happened to use IMR 4350 powder with 165 or 220 grain bullets, my powder charge info is not in front of me at the moment.

There is a mark on the left side indeed.
Not been able to read it.
Could I have any luck finding a original cleaning rod?
Would love to see your load data if you stuble across it.
Bullets, dies and cases came today. Asked a guy I work with to pick them up at the post office since he drive past it anyways. Looks like test this weekend

Love the Krag, I have one but it has been sporterized. Best job I've seen in awhile, and it was so cool I had to buy it. It is missing a safety, and I replaced the buckhorn site with a Rice Peep.

Here is some of the original pictures.

There is a mark on the left side indeed.
Not been able to read it.
Could I have any luck finding a original cleaning rod?
Would love to see your load data if you stuble across it.
Bullets, dies and cases came today. Asked a guy I work with to pick them up at the post office since he drive past it anyways. Looks like test this weekend

If you take a digital picture of the mark and use a photo editor you can often read the mark that you can't see with your naked eye. I do it all the time to read marks on metal and wood.

You are exactly correct. Like the 30-30 the 30-40 Karag was always a smokeless round, it just used the old BP naming convention. The standard Military load was originally a 220 grain RN FMJ with 40 grains of Cordite. What I should have said is the Krags did not have the better steel that was found in later chamberings of the cartridge in the Winchester 1895 that used their "Nickel Steel" smokeless barrels. They also had pretty weak actions. When the Military hopped up the round to shoot a 220 grain RN at 2200 fps there were a lot of instances of cracked bolt lugs. They recalled the hotter ammo, tore them down and reloaded to the old 2000 fps load. The 30-03 (became the 30-06) was adopted shortly there after.
yes I have 2 Krags a Krag Jorgason in 6.5x55 and a sporter 30/40 one of the smoothest actions made I have taken everything from groundhogs to bear and moose with both when growing up now they just hang on the wall

Ducky, I'm a sucker for both Krags and mannlicher style stocks - that's a good looking rifle.

Scandinavian, I have the Brophy book. If you wish to you can provide the model year and serial number and I can see if I can get an actual build date for you.

Scandinavian, I have the Brophy book. If you wish to you can provide the model year and serial number and I can see if I can get an actual build date for you.
I would be more curious about knowing where its been if there are any military records of who had it and where and if it's seen action.
IMG_20200813_170455_7.jpg
I've never seen one with a loading gate that opens like that. Is that a common variant?
Only the danish ones had this as far as I know. No idea why they did it like that. Try save cost on patent rights my altering the design???

C0550779-75B1-48B1-8180-763948C545B8.jpeg

Here's mine by the way. US 30-40. Obviously the old girl has had a little work done, but it was well done. The cartridge has it's limitations, I know, so this usually lives in the back of my safe. Still, this is the smoothest turn-bolt and most balanced rifle I own. Not going to replace it.

Also, FYI, I believe Hornady recently discontinued 30-40 Krag brass, so if you want some get it.

Ducky, I'm a sucker for both Krags and mannlicher style stocks - that's a good looking rifle.

Thanks, I really like it. I've taken it elk hunting as my backup rifle. I need to get the sights better regulated before I seriously hunt with it.

Krags in 6.5x55 was the service rifle here for 50years and also the competition rifle for target shooting and popular hunting round before the arrival of 30-06 and 308(7,62 nato) post WW2. Everyone has a relative that owns one. Also our first really big arms export. Licence buildt in both the US and Denmark. Really fun to see there is still so much nice rifles out there that is part of our history and still can be used. Feeling zero regrets about securing this two into my ownership.
220RN sierra and hornady brass arrived with Lee dies so I can get started reloading this weekend. If it shoot as well as it looks some meat is gonna be secured with this.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.