30-378

1coyoteslayer

Just got a 30-378 my goal is to hit a milk jug full of water at 1500 yards any suggested loads? My buddy is giving me some 208 amax bullets to try i think i want 3100fps out of them. He has good luck with the amax out of his rum.

My best is 83 gr h1000 with 240smk in 30-378. About 6" groups at 1000yds. 110gr 175 is flater but not as accurate

Just got a 30-378 my goal is to hit a milk jug full of water at 1500 yards any suggested loads? My buddy is giving me some 208 amax bullets to try i think i want 3100fps out of them. He has good luck with the amax out of his rum.

Are you just wanting to hit this jug that you are mad at, or hit it with one cold bore shot:)

If just hitting it is your goal your are not that far from sucess. With a spotter who can see your hits, should be relatively easy. If you want to hit it from a cold bore single shot be prepared for some frustration:) Not saying it cannot be done because it can, maybe not with the consistancy you would imagine. Even slight condition changes are going to lead to a lot of near and not so near misses.

BTW I am pretty mad at them milk jugs too. You might consider filling it with tannerite. The big boom adds a lot of satisfaction:)

Good Luck in your quest.

Last edited:
Agree with Eddybo that cold shot at 1500 is tough and I ve tried out to 1740. Also wind is such a big factor. Mine was a 30-378wby that never shot well and Dave Viers added a Lilja barrel, custom trigger , manners stock and bedded and it then became a great rifle. Good luck.

I thought about this post today when I took one I screwed together this week over to shoot 1500. I forgot the milk jug, but had a blue folger's coffee can. I only have about 12 rounds down range with the rifle but it did so well at 600 and 800 I thought I had a chance.

The wind gave me no love, 7 mph gusting to 16 from 7 o clock at the firing line, 10 mph gusting to 19 at the target from 10 o clock. Four rounds humbled me enough to pack it up.gun)

30-338 Lapua Improved running 208 bergers at 3330ish. I will play with it a bit more and take it back on a day with less obtuse wind. To top it off the pigs did not show up. Helluva a day.....what am I talking about any day shooting is better than a day working.:)

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0019-1.jpg

You can get 3300 fps out of the 208 Amax. Just depends on where your accuracy is. Shooting that far I would use the 240 SMK with H-50BMG. Mine did well at extreme range with this.

I have thought about the 240s but do not have any around. Only have 210s 190s 220s and 208s. Since I have more 208s I decided to play around with those first. 16 rounds down range thus far and the 208s are shooting prettty well. I will probably start with the 220s tomorrow.

When the wind is not swirling I have shot there many times using 208s with little difficulty.

What kind of velocity were you getting with the 240s and BMG and what barrel length?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.