.30-378 Wtby Mag vs .30-338 Lapua Mag vs .300 RUM vs .300 Jarrett

BigDsDuty

I need y'alls help on this one. I'm trying to narrow down my choices for a long range hunting rifle. Please, if you don't mind, tell me which one you would choose and your reasoning behind that choice. If you need any other info from me just ask. Just wanting to hear the pros and cons of these 4 options.

Thanks in advance

30-378 WM - factory gun, expensive ammo, but very reasonable with handloading

300 RUM - factory gun, moderately priced ammo but very reasonable to handload

300 Jarrett - non-factory gun, no factory ammo but easily made from 8mm brass which is fairly cheap

30-338 Lapua - expensive gun, very expensive brass, seasonal production runs on brass, no good source of ammo but reloading would be easy.

My vote is the .30-378, but if price is an issue, the
300 RUM is the way to go (as much as I hate Remington stuff). The other stuff is a pain. Pick one of these and you will do fine. If you want loading info for the 30-378, let me know. Got 150 grainers at over 3700 and some 190 grainers at 3400. Seeya

If you like toying around with wild cats, the go with the 300 jarett or 30-338 LM.

If you like using expensive crap brass, go with the 30-378 wby.

If you want an inherently accurate rifle with more of a selection of brass, go with the 300 RUM.

The 300 RUM gets my vote. The reasons?? While the 30-378 will be faster than the 300 RUM with a given twist, barrel length and bullet weight/style. You will only get your brass from 1 source, weatherby and it is not very concistent. The 300 RUM at least offers you federal, remington and nosler brass and its getting better year after year. Also, there is no pesky belts to work around, although, with some effort, you can bypass the belt altogether. Also, the remington 700 action is an all time favorite among most LR shooters and alot of good rifle smiths will not build a 30-378 wby on a 700. If a 700 is the action of choice and your smith wont build the 30-378, that leaves the 300 RUM or 300 jarrett as the likely candidates.

Ask your self which qualities are most important to you and what will make you happy. Confidence is part of the key to this sport. Remember though, that it is only part. Confidence also comes with a rifle and round that will lend itself to doing what you want. I want differant things than you and you want differant things than others here. If all you want to do is see how fast you can drive a 180 grain bullet, and dont have an aversion to the Mark V action, or dont mind building on an action with a smaller bolt for a huge case then the choice is simple. The 30-378. If you can afford a little less velocity and want better and cheaper brass, the 300 RUM or jarrett will work fine.

The gun will be custom made no matter which way I go. I'm looking for a very accurate long range rifle. That way I'll know the gun can do it, it's all up to me now. I want something in the .30 cal area and I like many people I want the best and baddest thing I can afford. I reload, so ammunition will be somewhat cheaper.
I plan on dropping a good chunk of change on this gun so I'm just trying to make the best decision for myself. I just don't want to build it and think later down the road that I should have just researched my choices a little more. I want long range, flat shooting, extremely accurate power, (probably a common want around here)and I'm just trying to figure out which one of these will make me happiest.

I really appreiciate your responses.

look into the allen magnums shooting the wildcat bullets. As far as I know they are the biggest meanest mo foes out there that will fit on a factory reciever. The 338am wont though.

Go with a 300 Tomahawk (300 RUM Imp). It will drive 190 Bergers to 3600 fps accurately. Get a quality barrel with 1:11 twist and don't look back. If you are going to spend "a chunk of change," go all out. That's what I would do, and it doesn't have to cost a big chunk either.

Before building as gun a person should have some understanding of what it is that they are planning on hunting and should have some general concept of how they intend to use the gun. The person should have some general idea of their own ability and a realistic assessment of what their skill level is. These things tend to affect caliber choice, weight, barrel length and scope selection.

Most dedicated long range guns will have a 30 inch barrel or more. People who want a more flexible gun will use a shorter barrel and often a smaller case.

The 7 mm Allen Magnum with a 200 grain RBBT Wildcat will pretty well match any of the four calibers you mention out to 1500 yards or so. It will give away a little here and there to a couple of the larger cases but it is a very manageable cartridge that shoots well at long range. Like most of the large case cartridges, it needs barrel lenght to burn the large amounts of powder contained in the case.

P.S.

I shoot a good bit of Weatherby/Norma brass and find it easy to work with. However, I am not one of those people who build a shrine and alter to worship a case. If I burn up 20-30 cases and kill a couple of animals out past 500 yards I consider the ruined cases the same as the primers and bullets, just one more piece of expendable metal. Of course I may be running chamber pressures so high you don't want to be in the same state as me when I pull the trigger. The flash holes and primer pockets (for the 240, 257Wby and 7mm wby)are very uniform and the case necks are uniform enough for hunting at the ranges I shoot.

The 7mm Allen Mag runs off of Lapua brass which works very well, although I don't push that gun so very hard being as it is already doing all I need.

If you want the biggest 30 cal out there it's the 30-378 all the way. It must have a 30" barrel to fully utilize that big case. The 30-378 brass is built by Norma for Weatherby. I would put it's quality a couple steps up from Remingtons RUM brass. Neither are crap. Both are redily available. My choices for a custom would go in this order. 30-378Wby, 300RUM, 300Wby, give up on the 30 and spend a nickle more for the all time king, the 338AM.

There is nothing wrong with the Mark 5 action either. Some gunsmiths don't seem to like them. I think the real reason is they can't make much on them. According to Krieger who works with a lot of Mark 5's they don't usually need anything to square one up. No need for an aftermarket trigger. A $5 spring will let you adjust it down to 6 ounces it that's what you want. The factory magazine box has plenty of room for this case.

The cost of factory ammo has never been an issue for me as I can't afford any of it. That's why I have been loading my own since I was 10.

Keep the info and opinions coming. I plan on doing plenty of long range shooting (practice) and want it capable of taking coyotes to elk and caribou at long ranges, but it's all up to me after that. I really like the fact that everyone is telling me the reasoning behind their thoughts, like brass availabilty and expense.
It's my understanding that you just can't beat Lapua brass, but it does come with a cost. I'm not sure what your opinions would be on that, but as far as the ballistics I've seen the .30-338 Lapua and the .338 Lapua look to be top contenders. Maybe I should look into .338 calibers but it just seems that their is more versatlity in the .30 cal range. Y'all are the ones living all of this and I'm just getting into it, that's why I'm asking for everybody's feedback.

Thanks

P.S. - I want something that can really reach out there and get the job done on a large animal, BUT I want it to be extremely accurate. That's my main concern.

If you are going to hunt moose at all the 338 would be my only suggestion. the 338 edge and up. If not and elk are going to be on the top end of animals then I would go with either an 7ultra or 7am shooting the 200wildcats. the 300rum because it is a great cartridge. Then I would go with the big 338. If you can aford it go with the 338am. It really is a beast. If I could afford it I would have one allready or at least have one ordered. Almost all cartridges can be made to shoot well if it is put together by a good gunsmith.

If you truly want to do a lot of long range practice (and you really should!), I would not want to have anyone of the calibers mentioned as my sole LR rig. They just aren't well suited to what I consider 'practice' volume levels of shooting. Reasoning: Barrel life, cost of ammo (even reloaded, 338 matchkings are 50 cents a piece, 7mm wildcats are similar, and at 100 grains of powder, you only get 70 shots per pound), barrel heat, and recoil (can deal with it, but there are always trade-offs, no free lunch).

If it were me, I would give serious thought to a gun chambered in a smaller caliber, mild round. (personal choice, if it were a single shot, would be a 1-8 twist 6br). I think having the opportunity for truly high volume practice would do you far more good than the difference between a 7 Allen Mag and a 338 Edge, or whatever choices you may be favoring. Good luck, and you came to the right place.

[ QUOTE ]
If it were me, I would give serious thought to a gun chambered in a smaller caliber, mild round. (personal choice, if it were a single shot, would be a 1-8 twist 6br). I think having the opportunity for truly high volume practice would do you far more good than the difference between a 7 Allen Mag and a 338 Edge, or whatever choices you may be favoring. Good luck, and you came to the right place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thoughts. There is a nice little 260 A bolt down in the want ads that would be perfect. Or Doc Ed has several small bolt face actions for sale and might even have a barrel to fit that could he could craft you a nice 308.

I have been loading 308 boolits all day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I totally agree with your thoughts of practicing with a smaller caliber and less expensive to shoot rifle. I may have this already or can get it. I guess I worded it wrong when I said earlier that I would want to practice quite a bit. I would indeed practice quite a bit with a less expensive round, but I still want to build a larger caliber, long distance hunting rifle.
I'm in no way trying to knock what y'all are saying, I guess I just have not explained myself very well.
If you believe that a different cartridge other than the ones I have mentioned would suit me better, than please tell me. That's why I'm here asking all of you. I want to get as many opinions and as much experienced and knowledgable people to give me their two cents so that I can possibly help myself make a good decision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.