.30-378 Weatherby Shooter

Never did I state a pressure number or load data .
You assssume all of the numbers , I showed a chrono reading and a 30-378 improved case .
Amazing Mo
Step out of the box , you'll be ok.
Explore your own comfort levels with reloading and learn there is more than guns and ammo magazine or sierra reloading guide . Methods .
How many turn case necks , but you think a drop tube is a pipe bomb method .
That is one option. Speed limiter on your car and 100 hp Prius work for some people.
I could care less about the chrono reading only performance on impact and lights out on an animal. typically at long range that means speed to be successful .
yours truly
Mo

Sorry, was using your information you posted in this thread.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/best-caliber-long-range-95740/

"I have played with wildcats for years 30-378 and 338-378 and 378 weatherby s .
I dropp tube with H870 and pack 130 grs . need long bbls as 29 in
30-378 with 180 gr out at 3900 fps
338-378 with 210 gr at 3600 fps
378 with 250 gr at 3500 fps"

.6 moa at 1600 yards is outstanding. Congrats! The problem associated with long range and RL or IMR powders is the velocity swing you get when temps change. That is why my 30-378's have always been loaded with Hodgdens propellents. Speciafically H-1000. If I understand your post correctly you are using a stock Mark V barrel. If so it is 26 " plus the brake, 28 with brake installed. Your velocity is right on the sweet spot I found for my Accumark with a stock barrel with 210 Bergers. I have shot this rifle to 1200 yards with about 1 moa on average and felt that was good for a factory rifle. I also found that when you add some barrel length to this rifle you get good velocity gains. This same load in a custom barreled 30-378 that is 30" long was close to 3150 fps and no pressure signs were visable. The long barreled rifle was not braked but the standard accumark was. I seen little or no accuracy loss when shooting the accumark with or with out the brake, in back to back tests. But I did notice a slight point of impact change. I shoot all my long range rigs with brakes. With ear plugs the noise is acceptable at the range and in the field in the open where only one shot is usually fired am ok with it. The brakes have proven to me to have the oposite affect that they did for you. Less recoil and being able to spot your own hits is something I like from the brakes and a rifle that jumps less is more accurate for me.

I host long range shoots in Townsend on the second Saturday of each month. Several members from here attend and we bang steel to 1000 yards. Please feel free to join us. It is great to meet the people on here that share similar shooting disciplines. Love to meet you, hope you can make it.

again Great shooting!

Jeff gun)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I shoot a H&S Precision with a 26" barrel. With my 210 gr Bergers I'm using 111.2 gr of H50BMG averaging 2,990 fps. I have a .5 MOA, but I feel I should be shooting a tighter group. Would you recommend the RE25 over the H50BMG?

aa, that is about par for factory ammo. With 1" @ 100yds it should improve greatly with 215 Berger Hybrids many are handloading for their 30/378's. Hope your friend saved his brass.

Change the trigger spring and get it below 2 lbs. Pull it from the stock and bed the front lug area. These rifles move all over inside the aluminum bedding rail and need bedded to tighten them up. But yes, 1 moa from a factory accumark with factory ammo is about average.

Jeff

I am new to the LRH site and I've seen a lot of talk about 300 ultras, but I can't find anybody else shooting a .30-378 Mark V. I've had this rifle for about 6 months and finally settled on a load for it after a lot of trial and error, from trying 5 different powders and bullet combos. There really isn't a lot of load data out there for a true long range load in this caliber.
My load is using Reloader-25 to push a Sierra MK 240 gr. at 3050 fps. This is very close to the pressure limit and I went as high as 3160 while "pressure testing" the recipe. The rifle is a Weatherby Mark V standard with the 28 inch barrel, plus the brake. I do not use the brake, and although it was very effective in reducing recoil, the inherrent loss of accuracy and the muzzle blast are not required (in my opinion) for what is still considered a "standard size" rifle. I know if I wanted to use the brake while out hunting with my buddies, I would soon find myself with much fewer friends. The scope is a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40mm with the long range varmint reticle. This load has proven to be slightly over a 0.6 MOA out past 1600 yards. I am compensating with 38 MOA adjustment to get out there.
I could find very little data for using RL-25 in this caliber. I think this powder shows a lot of improved performance in this "oversized" magnum cartridge.

Anyone else have any opinions on this caliber or shoot it regularly? I look forward to your replies!

Travis Kamps
(406) 580-9700
[email protected]

You are doing well in the pioneer world of wildcats.
Simple physics as amount of powder vs bullet weight and pressure . The Mark V can take the most pressure all of the actions , 308 calibers are that a 308 to a 3006 to a 300 win mag is just amount of powder.
The reloading manuals are terrible for weatherby . Its start low and work up .
The 100% case capacity and max pressure intersect that's your load check accuracy .
Ball Powder you can pack more in but not as constant burning. VithVo powder is great stuff .
Try the N570 instead of RL 25 it will be more accurate and faster.
The next thing to watch its tempature and altitude it affects the pressure huge huge huge.
Accuracy is 2 concerns targets or hunting . Bullet type and speed doesn't matter to targets as much as hunting scenarios. Bergers work and Nosler Bal. tip or Barnes those 3 like speed vs sierra that doesn't like speed .
You are on the right track , Like like free bore and you will read barrel burner statements but if you can shoot 10,000 rds of hot weatherby a year you like pain .
50 bmg is terrible trajectory but if you know the distance and calulations or time its an amazing round as 308 . But in hunting etc or time you don't know the distance or cal or time you have to be flat and fast.
After 550 yds its a step curve for everyone but 200 in drop vs 500 in drop at 1000 is a huge guess. Wind ?
Lija bbl are good and they know weatherby well. For hunting #1 for completion Bartilen .
Trick is to go buy a $500 Mark V at a gun show 300 weathery action not a small action trashed out gun the better . You only need the metal . Sent it to Dan Lijlas gunsmiths and put a bbl and cut the bot groove and face and you have a $5000 Weatherby custom that shoots sub MOA .
I have wildcatted and weatherby since 1972 and like them but I do owe a 308 as it has its fun place but limited.
Build a 6.5 x 300 weatherby on a old Mark V with a Bartilen bbl free bore it you will love it .
Muzzle Brakes use them all the time never take them off the bigger the holes on the sides the better and big. many, BBl length ? need to be over 28 in for sure but not over 31 in .
Just my thoughts , good luck

One of the first custom rifles I built for my self was a 30/378 Weatherby (I still have it)
Specs=
Weatherby Mark 5 action, blue printed.
Shilen 27.3" #7 taper, 1 in 10 twist, select match stainless, 11o crown.
Accurate innovation laminated stock.
Leupold LPS 3.5x14x52.
Most accurate load = 180 XBT with 120grs H 50 BMG @ 3360 ft/sec and a SD of 6 for
5 shots. group size was .091 (Less than 1/10th of an inch).

Hottest load had 126grs and showed very little signs of pressure but accuracy fell of to

I have not tried it with any other powder because I was satisfied with the 50 BMG.

With the new powders it could improve but I'm not sure I could.

It realy likes the 200 gr partitions and I have pushed them to 3300 ft/sec with no pressure
signs.

NOTE: This chamber has the SAMMI free bore and can Handel heaver loads without pressure.
Do Not use this load data if you are seating bullets close to or on the lands.

It is a great long range round and will out shoot most shooters with good bullets and loads.

I dont use a break on this rifle ether.

J E CUSTOM

HELLO! I just posted a new thread about shooting the 30-378 with no brake. I have experience with my own heavy rifles, but this seems a bit daunting with that big case. How is the recoil? Any tips? How much sustained shooting can you do? Thank you.

For the love of God quit resurrecting this thread lol. 5000FPS with a 30-378 and 150 gr of Trailboss

How about (Western Powder's) RamShot's Magnum powder for LR use with the .30-378 Wby?

It's recommended for the "7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag through the Remington Ultra Mags and 338 Lapua".

I had mine rebuilt. New trigger, barrel, muzzle brake, stock. Went to a .2-.3 MOA rifle from 2-3. Is fine out to 1400 yd. use Retumbo and SMK 240. Better than Berger . Best accuracy was 2900 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.