30-378 Weatherby Mag

That and a 338 capable of producing 3200 or better with a 300 gr.

The only things I can think of off hand capable of producing those numbers are 338 AM or 338 EnABELR. 33XC might get close.

If your considering a 300 Norma Mag I would consider a 300 RUM also.

The only things I can think of off hand capable of producing those numbers are 338 AM or 338 EnABELR. 33XC might get close.

If your considering a 300 Norma Mag I would consider a 300 RUM also.
Well you failed to mention the 338 Big Baer which i just happen to own along with one of the late Howard Wolfes (short version) 30x378s which is in fact an identical case and which preceeded the now well known cartridge by about 25 years.
Makes one wonder where the idea may have come. lol

I used a 36" barreled 30x378 on a custom action for long range PA hunting for about 30 years.
My velocity using a 200 gr SMK was 3500 fps.
The 200 gr outperformed the heavier bullets as for trajectory out to about 1500 yds.
Very very few shots are ever taken on animals especially in PA past 1500 yds due to conditions during the hunting season.
Anything less than a 30" barrel even with the modern powder, will not produce the velocity necessary to receive full benefit from the 378 case.
My advice for a 30 cal would be a lesser cartridge for that reason for hunting.
Also most hunters arent equipped for shooting that far anyway.
All Pa l/r hunters use a bench or something similar, and they all use the spotter system when shooting at animals.
As for the 338, go big or dont bother would be my advice.
The 338x378 is the most popular 338 in the area of PA i hunt.
My son has one with a 30" barrel and he like all the others struggle to reach 3000 fps with 300 gr bullets.
The 416 Rigby case is slightly better, and the improved version of that case better yet.
Most are using 250 gr for hunting for that reason and find that out to about 1 mile they perform better than the 300 does.
Make no mistake by what im saying, as the 338 will make you a better shooter at the longer distances with the heavier bullets.
But you should really watch them all fly across a wide valley towards a target before deciding.
And once you do then there wont be any deciding, because the cartridge will do it for you.
You wont be needing to be reading any statistical information.
Long barrels are great for speed but most hunters are looking for 28inch and shorter for hunting rifles. Also most hunters want a repeater not a single shot. Long brass and long bullets almost never fit in mag length

Long barrels are great for speed but most hunters are looking for 28inch and shorter for hunting rifles. Also most hunters want a repeater not a single shot. Long brass and long bullets almost never fit in mag length
I have been hunting long range a very long time,If you want to learn, listen dont talk!

Well what makes you think mine wasent used exclusively for hunting?
I have been hunting long range a very long time,If you want to learn, listen dont talk!
Hey Bo.
Hows it going?
Doing any fishing?

I have a WBY .340 and they are expensive to shoot. I haven't purchased any components since all of the craziness started and here is what I reload: Nosler 300 gr RDF boat tail, IMR 4350 (67 gr), Weatherby brass, CCI primers. I purchase when I can find them on sale and my cost to reload is $3.00 per round. Today, I seriously doubt that this is feasible. I only use it for hunting and if it shoots a 2" grouping at 600 yds, I'm satisfied. I knew of some marine snipers that used the .340 caliber shooting 2" groups at 2000 yds. If your hunting or just target shooting I would highly recommend the .340, just make certain that you get the WBY Accumark brake on it. Mine kicks less than my Win 30-30's without a brake. It's a pleasure to shoot, unlike my Ruger .375 with whatever brake Ruger puts on. I recently put a new scope on it and after firing 10 rounds I really didn't want to pull the trigger on the 11th. So that's what you may want to consider between the .338 caliber and the .378. If you can try both out; by all means do so.

Hello all
I'm considering buying a .30-378 Weatherby mag. I'm looking for something that would be a long range hunting/target rifle. I was wondering a few things:

1). Does anyone have any experience with this caliber?

2). I've heard they're barrel burners (less than 1000 rounds) and have a lot of throat erosion.

3.) What would be the cost of hand loading?

4.) What would be a better option?

Thanks!!
I was young and dumber! :) I wanted the 1000 yard ultimate hunting rifle and cost didn't matter. 30-378 with 30 inch barrel and 2 inch brake. I bought 400 cases. Back then they were only about a buck a piece. Got to have a bragging rights rifle. I concentrated on 200 -240 grain bullets with my 9 twist. 220's were the best paper and I found some VLD 210 hunting bullets that were exceptional.

2) More like sub 600 rounds when you saw paper punching open up

3) Cost when you start putting in up to 120 grains of US869 or big doses of the other slowest powders it seems like you only get to reuse the cases a few times and they get cracks often down by the belt. Now they are up to $3 per case and you get about 3 shots before they fail.

4) I rebarreled mine after less than 600 rounds the first year. Well it was gone in a few more years and I was going to rebarrel it and sell it when I found out the best thing to have it made into was a 338-378. a real cannon that last much much longer. get a 30 inch .338 and launch 300 grain bullets. But anyway It was loaned for even African hunts as a 30 cal.

IMO: it was fun, but dumb! I've owned some other good ones, like 338 LM, 416 rem, .458 win mag, .458 Barnes American.

30-378 WBY is a fine long range hunting rig , but if you plan on using it for targets , stock up on barrels. As mentioned above I made it to 600 rounds on my first barrel and it was toast. Now it wears an 28" 8 twist for 245gr Bergers for hunting only. My advice is to step up to 338.

Stones hand, public forum, take a breath, let it go.

Dr Richard gray, give us a little more info on velocity, groups and any kills with that 340…… always liked the looks of that round

I shot a 340 for 35+ years,boatload of game,91 gr 7828,fed215, 225 part,close to 2900.Sons stick now

Attachments

• IMG_1830.JPG
    IMG_1830.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 18
Yes,had alot of rounds threw it now,but my boy cracked a small rock at 600 last fall when out hunting.New barrel should be in its future,I had Lone Wolf stock it,back when,my boy probably taken 20 + animals with it