30-378 Weatherby Mag

BT_1224

Hello all
I'm considering buying a .30-378 Weatherby mag. I'm looking for something that would be a long range hunting/target rifle. I was wondering a few things:

1). Does anyone have any experience with this caliber?

2). I've heard they're barrel burners (less than 1000 rounds) and have a lot of throat erosion.

3.) What would be the cost of hand loading?

4.) What would be a better option?

Thanks!!

30-378 Is the big boy of the 30 cals as far as factory chamberings go. Are you looking at buying an off the shelf rifle, something used or having something built?
What are your goals?
As far as horsepower goes if you want anymore you are gonna have to go to a wildcat/ custom chambering (30 AX)

Getting one of those things is a good way to develop a flinch.
You have to reload if you want to shot it much or case out your 401K.
I have 2 friends that have them,several years ago ammo was over $5.00 a shot.
Hate to think what it is now.
Factory ammo for my 6.5 RPM is $4.00 each

I seen a YouTube video with mark and Sam shooting one at over 3000 yards with the 250 a tip traveling over 3100fps.( can't remember) . Not sure if the chamber was changed. I'd imagine if you can get one to shoot the 245 Berger's at about the same it would work pretty well. A friend of mine has one and shoots the 210's with retumbo but strictly hunts with it with just some distance shooting to keep it honest so barrel life isn't a thing

30-378 Is the big boy of the 30 cals as far as factory chamberings go. Are you looking at buying an off the shelf rifle, something used or having something built?
What are your goals?
As far as horsepower goes if you want anymore you are gonna have to go to a wildcat/ custom chambering (30 AX)
I was wanting to buy off the shelf. Another option I'm considering is the 338 LM. I know ammo for both is expensive

I seen a YouTube video with mark and Sam shooting one at over 3000 yards with the 250 a tip traveling over 3100fps.( can't remember) . Not sure if the chamber was changed. I'd imagine if you can get one to shoot the 245 Berger's at about the same it would work pretty well. A friend of mine has one and shoots the 210's with retumbo but strictly hunts with it with just some distance shooting to keep it honest so barrel life isn't a thing
They have some phenomenal videos and are very informative. Barrel life really isn't a problem for me as I don't shoot too often

Getting one of those things is a good way to develop a flinch.
You have to reload if you want to shot it much or case out your 401K.
I have 2 friends that have them,several years ago ammo was over $5.00 a shot.
Hate to think what it is now.
Factory ammo for my 6.5 RPM is $4.00 each
Weatherby ammo is ALWAYS expensive. Any other good options beside the .30-378?

It all depends on what you want. I'm happy with the 300 prc. Much more economical to shoot and more shooting will trump more gun to some degree

I've chronographed some weatherby premium ammunition and shot to distance and find it's very good but bullet selection is definitely not intended for lots of target shooting lol

I've only shot mine out to 540 but will be shooting out to 1200 if/when the weather turns for some target shooting. Been shooting the 245 bergers at a slow 2780 with lrt powder and just waiting on a tmb tuner brake and then going to work up with n570. I know a lot of guys have been shooting out past a mile with them.

I've only shot mine out to 540 but will be shooting out to 1200 if/when the weather turns for some target shooting. Been shooting the 245 bergers at a slow 2780 with lrt powder and just waiting on a tmb tuner brake and then going to work up with n570. I know a lot of guys have been shooting out past a mile with them.
That's impressive. I was torn between getting the 300 PRC or the 300 Win Mag but went with the Win Mag because of the availability of ammo at the time. Now it seems like it's the other way around.

I owned a Sako trg in 30-378 weatherby. I liked it, but sold it and built a 338 edge. The weatherby shot a 210 grain bullet at around 3250 FPS with 115 gr. of H50BMG if memory serves me correctly. My 338 will shoot a 300 grain bullet at 2800 with 92 grs of H1000 or a 250 - 256 grain bullets at 3150 FPS. Recoil is similar but the barrel life and efficiency is better on the 338. Range is almost identical with the 338 being a little better. Nothing wrong with the 300 PRC but it cannot compete with the 30-378 or 338 RUM or Edge. My 338 is supersonic to 2450 yards with 256 flatlines running R23. 1250 yard silhouettes can be boring. To really enjoy it you have to shoot 1500 and beyond. Twist rate is important in either to really get the most out of them, 1/9 or greater. If I had put a 1/9 or 1/8 twist in mine instead of a 1/10 it would be capable of launching a 285 flatliner beyond 2650 yards.

Shooting 250 grain bullets the 338 RUM is the ballistic twin of the 338 Lapua but does it more efficiently. Both are better choices, with regards to efficiency and barrel life, than the 30-378.

That said none of them are cheap to shoot at long range effectively. If you want something more efficient or cheaper to shoot with factory ammo and a better barrel life you might try a 7 SAUM or 6.5 PRC. They will get you close to the 300 PRC but none can match the 338s, for ELR they really are the sweet spot.