30-378 Weatherby Loads?

Elkheart

New to this forum. It has a wealth of knowledge. I appriciate all the shooters out there helping out. Pretty cool forum. Decided on my next gun. Going to get 30-378 Accumark. I'll be putting the x5 Swaro 3.5-18x50 on it. Still not sure on whether to get the illuminated one or not. I'm looking for anybody who has some accurate loads for this gun to try out. Will be used primarily for elk. Looking at the 230g Berger Hybrids. Will be getting the Forster Ultra Seating Dies. Any information will be greatly appriciated. Thank you.

E, you're on the right track. The Berger 215 Hybrid or the 230 OTM with H1000 or Retumbo, Federal 215M primer and WBY brass with the 230 taking full advantage of the 30/378 large powder capacity. My 30/378 shot best with Retumbo, but a friend's was more accurate with H1000. Usually no two rifles will realize maximum accuracy with the same load. Start low and work up with powder charge and play with seating depth after a powder is found to be most accurate. With the freebore Weatherby has your bullet will nearly fall out of the case before touching the lands. Try just under magazine length to start, or the Berger suggested COAL. My best load was a bit under max with great accuracy and the elk don't notice a little less velocity. Good luck

Tagging in as my buddy just picked on up for a song. And I'm sure I'll be loading and developing a load for it.

I see Berger makes a Tactical and a Target in the Hybrid model. I'm guessing the 230 grain Hybrid that is being talked about for hunting big game is the Target model. Is this correct? Thanks again.

I see Berger makes a Tactical and a Target in the Hybrid model. I'm guessing the 230 grain Hybrid that is being talked about for hunting big game is the Target model. Is this correct? Thanks again.

Yep, that would be my personal choice IIWY ... I think you'll be golden with it. Just note the suggested optimum twist rate is 1:9".

Just to clarify, the Berger 230gr for hunting is the "OTM" tactical.

Both the OTM (30112, G1=.710) and target (30430, G1=.717) have been used afield for hunting but others prefer the target ...

Attachments

• 230 Berger Target.JPG
    230 Berger Target.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 119
I know this is a Barnes bashing forum, but my 30-378 loves 200gr. Barnes LRX and 105gr. of Retumbo. I have killed an Alaskan Moose and a Kodiak Island Brown Bear with it. It's a very deadly combination, I use Barnes bullets in most of my rifles they are very accurate and easy to achieve small groups. I don't trust traditional lead core bullets moving at high velocity shooting big tough animals. That's just my opinion, now the Barnes bullet bashing can begin.

I know this is a Barnes bashing forum, but my 30-378 loves 200gr. Barnes LRX and 105gr. of Retumbo. I have killed an Alaskan Moose and a Kodiak Island Brown Bear with it. It's a very deadly combination, I use Barnes bullets in most of my rifles they are very accurate and easy to achieve small groups. I don't trust traditional lead core bullets moving at high velocity shooting big tough animals. That's just my opinion, now the Barnes bullet bashing can begin.

Why bash Barnes.. Most of us shoot at least a few of them in our rifles. My 375h@h eats 300tsx and my 270 eats 130 mrx and also has an affinity for Hdy mono pills... They don't open as well at reduced velocity, but that doesn't mean many of us don't use them in out mid range stuff...

Why bash Barnes.. Most of us shoot at least a few of them in our rifles. My 375h@h eats 300tsx and my 270 eats 130 mrx and also has an affinity for Hdy mono pills... They don't open as well at reduced velocity, but that doesn't mean many of us don't use them in out mid range stuff...

I agree and quite frankly don't know why anybody would start and end their post that way unnecessarily.

Simply recommending/sharing "personal preference" as we all do would have been suffice.

I help my friend load his 30/378 weatherby load we came up with was just long enough to magazine feed with 230 Berger hybrid at coal or 3.730 and 95 grs of H1000. Speed was 2900 fps verified on a magnetospeed chronograph. I saw some minor pressure signs at 95.5 so I backed it off to 95grs. There was a ton a case capacity left so a slower powder like rl33 n570 would get you to 3000 fps with the 230berger. The load with h1000 did not shoot bug holes but it was sub moa

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.