30-378 weatherby handloading questions.

malibual0

Hi everyone,
Has anyone loaded the new barnes TTSX in 180 gr. with retumbo powder. I have the stock accumark 30-378. I get great accuracy with the 180 gr. sierra pro hunters, but I didn't like what they did at close range last year on a moose.
I want a bullet that will stay together better. I like the sierra bullets but I think the 30-378 might be a bit fast for it. They work great in my 300 win.
I am loading the sierra 180's with 107.5 grains of Retumbo with fed 215m primers. When I look at the barnes loading data I see the max load for the 180's is 105. grains. Is there a reason for that that? Do the Barnes bullets create more pressures?
I bought some 180 gr TTSX and was wondering where to start. Any info or recipes on any bullets or powders would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ,
Malibual0.

The mono metal bullet will create higher pressure. Start lower than you would with conventional bullets.

Steve

Hi everyone,
Has anyone loaded the new barnes TTSX in 180 gr. with retumbo powder. I have the stock accumark 30-378. I get great accuracy with the 180 gr. sierra pro hunters, but I didn't like what they did at close range last year on a moose.
I want a bullet that will stay together better. I like the sierra bullets but I think the 30-378 might be a bit fast for it. They work great in my 300 win.
I am loading the sierra 180's with 107.5 grains of Retumbo with fed 215m primers. When I look at the barnes loading data I see the max load for the 180's is 105. grains. Is there a reason for that that? Do the Barnes bullets create more pressures?
I bought some 180 gr TTSX and was wondering where to start. Any info or recipes on any bullets or powders would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ,
Malibual0.

Malibual0, how are you trimming your .30-.378 cases? I am having one heck of a time finding products that will trim this particular case. Thanks.

I have used Retumbo and the TSX 180's and also the 168's in my accumark 30-378. The accuracy was good but Retumbo seems to go over thi line quick. I have had very sticky bolt lift occure in just 1/2 grain step. I would start low and work up.

And for what it is worth, my rifle loves the 210 Bergers over H-1000. I have taken a lot of game with great results with the VLD's.

Jeff

I use the Lee case trimmer to trim my brass. I had to phone Lee and tell them what I wanted and they made it for me. It works awsome. I think it was only 15 bucks for them to make it for me.
I also found the same with the retumbo powder, just a little to much( about half a grain ) and I get the hard bolt lift as well.
I think I will start with about 105 grains of retumbo and work up from there.
Thanks everyone,
Malibual0.

I use the Lee case trimmer to trim my brass. I had to phone Lee and tell them what I wanted and they made it for me. It works awsome. I think it was only 15 bucks for them to make it for me.
I also found the same with the retumbo powder, just a little to much( about half a grain ) and I get the hard bolt lift as well.
I think I will start with about 105 grains of retumbo and work up from there.
Thanks everyone,
Malibual0.

Thanks Malibualo0. What trim length did you give them? My Nosler reloading manual says 2.908, while Lee told me 2.903. I know, that is a very small diference, but I really don't want to trim too much (or too little) off each case. Also, how many reloads are you getting per case?

I am just going to use a standard batch of reloder 22 and 200 grain Nosler partition bullets. Using 85.5 grains of reloder 22 will only put me around 136 FPS slower than some other loads but will save from 10 to 26.5 grains per case per other powders!!....and if 2,966 FPS doesn't get it done, I will go to my .300 ultra or .300 win mag.

Thanks again, Malibual0!!

I gave them a trim length of 2.903" . Its been working great for me at that length.
I am getting 5 reloads per case. How about you?

I gave them a trim length of 2.903" . Its been working great for me at that length.
I am getting 5 reloads per case. How about you?

Long story short is I haven't reloaded since around 1995. The only remaining piece of my 1st reloading system are my .30-.378 dies. Everything else, gone....and, trust me, i lost alot of dies, a great tumbler, and, of course, my press.....lost it all between moves. But I just bought another RCBS system and will start reloading very soon.

2.903 is what Lee recommended, too. Thanks!

I found a good load with 107.5 grains of retumbo with a 180 gr. sierra pro- hunter. 5 shots at a 100 yards in the size of my thumb nail and 2" group at 400 yrds. But last year I shot a moose and there was no exit wounds. The bullet just expolded on impact. It was a close shot 35 yrds. But if it was a grizzly I would something that penetrates more.
So I went to the 180 grain barnes TTSX. With a 108 grains of retumbo. Not as good of group about 1 " groups at 100 yrds, going 3400 ftps. Shot my moose this year and he didn't go far. I am still going to do some more fine tuning early next year. My C.O.A.L is 3.640" Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, I tried 110 and it shot a 3 shot group all touching, but it must be too hot of a load for my gun. Bolt wont always open. I am trying to get my chrono to work, but not having any luck.

Broz and others were correct, I had too hot of a load. I shot 4 times with a 108 rotumbo load and everytime the case came out just fine.

My chrono set at 13.5' away from end of barrel, on 3 shots averaged 3475fps.

How does this sound? Its a F1 Chrony.

This seems like it is very fast for only a 108 charge.

What fps should I be trying to get, or am I good were I am at. I havent shot for groups yet, except for the 110, which was under a half inch.

I do have a coal is 3.750, I might move that back to 3.765. Will that change anything?

I am happy for the speed, but surprised. I am sure the accuracy is still there if it was at 110.

Thanks

I've loaded 180gr grand slam with h1000 had as good as accuracy as I could want, trim back to 2903 trim lenght, but one thing if found it seems that the 180gr accubond factory rounds are seated to short notice out far enough they have Crimp rings on the ogive of the bullet up to far , I found the 200gr accubond that I'm working with and n217 is giving promise of replacement , as a whole I have 2 rifles both shoot the factory 165gr bst the best over all factory ammo I have acquired

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.