30-378 wby re chamber question

Reason I asked about the bullets is because mine does better with flat based bullets than with the boat tailed ones. The accubonds don't do well in mine, but the Partion does real good. Some boat tails such as the LRX do good in mine, but overall not so good. My go to powder is H-870, but the newer RL-33 is also great for me. What kind of groups are you getting with the 3" ones, 2 in one out or are they 5 shot groups.With My 30/378 I use 3 shot groups. My go to load is 115 grs of H-870, Fed 215 Wea case with an oal of 3.790. Another load that does good for me is the 175 LRX with 115 grs of Rl-33, Fed 215, Wea case and an oal of 3.731 Hope this might help you. These are max loads in my rifle. If you try these reduce and work up.
The 200 gr load gets just under 3200 ft/sec and the 175 LRX runs 3405 ft/sec.

Thanks man I really appreciate it I'll give them a try for sure. As for my 3" groups they'll shoot two good then just throw one way out there and I'm always sure that my gun is cool so that's not the issue... do you have any experience with the eldx I've herd good things but haven't tried because of pure frustration.

No I've never tried the ELD line of bullets. One of the reason is the boat tail and round count on my barrel. May be worth a try.

eld-s are rather soft. I'm not sure I'd run them in your big Roy. I'm having trouble getting accuracy in them with my 7stw, 300rum's and 300win... my 30-06 and 6.5 creed like them just fine though...

I did a lot of reading on the Accumarks before I ever shot mine, and everyone seems to agree that they need to be bedded. With the aluminum bedding blocks they have in the stock they are really easy to skim bed. I bedded mine with Devcon and put in a lighter trigger spring, and the first group ever fired out of my gun was right at 1 MOA. I have yet to try a bullet/powder combination that won't shoot under 3/4 MOA with the right charge, and I don't mess with seating depth. I just pick a length that fits in my magazine and test different powder charges.

Shooting these big boys takes a little more attention to detail while at the range. Make sure your gun can slide freely with the recoil, and that your swivel studs aren't going to snag on anything. If using a bipod be sure to load it properly each time. If using a front rest try to position the rest and rear bag consistently in the same spot on the rifle.

Hopefully you can get this thing to shoot. Accumarks are a lot of fun.

I did a lot of reading on the Accumarks before I ever shot mine, and everyone seems to agree that they need to be bedded. With the aluminum bedding blocks they have in the stock they are really easy to skim bed. I bedded mine with Devcon and put in a lighter trigger spring, and the first group ever fired out of my gun was right at 1 MOA. I have yet to try a bullet/powder combination that won't shoot under 3/4 MOA with the right charge, and I don't mess with seating depth. I just pick a length that fits in my magazine and test different powder charges.

Shooting these big boys takes a little more attention to detail while at the range. Make sure your gun can slide freely with the recoil, and that your swivel studs aren't going to snag on anything. If using a bipod be sure to load it properly each time. If using a front rest try to position the rest and rear bag consistently in the same spot on the rifle.

Hopefully you can get this thing to shoot. Accumarks are a lot of fun.

Thanks man the more I read and get input from all you guys on here I'm agreeing with bedding this thing before I give up. And I've been in the same boat as you with seating depth I just get them as long as I can and still fit in the mag box. I usually shoot off bags while at the range but I'll pay closer attention to the position of my bags and the recoil like ya said I really appreciate your input I really want this thing to shoot but I also tired or throwing hundreds of dollars in powder and bullets at it but I'll bed it and give it another go!

Thanks man the more I read and get input from all you guys on here I'm agreeing with bedding this thing before I give up. And I've been in the same boat as you with seating depth I just get them as long as I can and still fit in the mag box. I usually shoot off bags while at the range but I'll pay closer attention to the position of my bags and the recoil like ya said I really appreciate your input I really want this thing to shoot but I also tired or throwing hundreds of dollars in powder and bullets at it but I'll bed it and give it another go!
Sounds good brother. I hope the bedding clears up those fliers.

So just got off the phone with weatherby and was going to bring this thing to them because their shop is 15 min from my house and their service guy said they will not bed the whole action all they will bed is the recoil lug and he said they will guarantee the rifle to shoot 1 1/2" group and if it'll do that with factory ammo it meets their quality standards. So I guess my question is is it worth it for me to take it in to them or send it to some one who will bed the whole action or try to bed it myself??

I would bed the recoil lug and the rear tang area, at the minimum. And maybe that's what Weatherby meant.

I wouldn't bed any of the barrel. Barrel would be completely free floating, if it were my rifle.

Whether you take it to Weatherby or not is up to you. I think you'd have to, if you expect them to honor their warranty.

Seating depth made a big difference in my 30/378. My initial try's with the 175 LRX was at a seating depth of 3.790 ( mag length in my rifle ) and my groupes were appx 1.5 MOA. After taking some advise from the boys at Weatherby Nation I was advised that by reducing my OAL I may have good results. I began reducing my OAL by .010 at a time and settled on an OAL of 3.731 . By this time my groups had went from 1.5 MOA to .75 MOA. This made a decent load into a great load. All I changed was the OAL.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts