30-378 Illinois shooter

meat

Hello from Illinois! My name is John Lay and I'd like to hear from anyone that shoots the big Weatherby or has taken Mark Thompsons Long Range course. A lot of info here and I'm trying to take it all in. I'm not one to make posts, but learn from others.

Last edited:
Hello from Illinois! My name is John Lay and I'd like to hear from anyone that shoots the big Weatherby or has taken Mark Thompsons Log Range course. A lot of info here and I'm trying to take it all in. I'm not one to make posts, but learn from others.

Hello John, and welcome to the site.

What load do you shoot in that boomer?

Welcome M, had my 30/378 for 13 years and hunt elk every year with it. Where and what do you hunt with yours?

Longshooter, I shoot 180 NAB with 118.5 gr of Hodgdon US869. How about you?

Dosh, can't hunt anything around home here in Illinois, but have points in all of the western states. Hope to be drawing tags in the next several years. What can you tell me about your setup? Anxious to hear feedback from those who hunt with this rifle. Thanks for any input, John

M, try Broz's load for 30/378 and 210 Bergers, you'll like it. My non-Accumark Mark V stainless shoots his load very well. The elk here in AZ aren't too happy with it though.

10 4 Dosh, thanks for the heads up! On a side note, I'm siting on 11 points in AZ as a non-resident and headed out there this summer to get my hunter education point to make 12. I'm thinking about trying to draw next year 1/2B/2C archery. What are your thoughts or suggestions. Any advice appreciated, however I could return the favor just say. Thanks again , John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.