30/375 Ruger

Let me know what you finally settle on Rich. I'm tempted for a .308 cartridge along the same lines as you're thinking. One very experienced member on this Forum has convinced me that the 300 RUM yields a fairly short barrel life. His POI's and MVs kept changing because the bore was eroding so quickly. He shoots a lot more than I, but if a guy's gonna shoot very much, the 300 RUM seems like too much case capacity. Too much overbore. The 338's seem to shine with that much case capacity.

Can't believe I just typed that, now that I admit that I own a .257 RUM. But I don't shoot the .257 RUM very much at all. Got it more for the novelty item that it is, than anything else.

Paul.....I've owned 3 300 RUM's and I can't really understand how a 300 Norma could be that much easier on barrels?Maybe a Norma shooter could chime in here? I like the idea of a longer necked Ruger case which I had pretty much drawn up in a diagram a couple of nights ago. I found out that the 300 HSM with the shoulder bumped back about .060" or so might just be the ticket. It would put the case capacity just above the WM without the belt. I am thinking about making a 225 grain SXR based on the exact same spec as my 190's and throated to seat the bullet at the shoulder/neck jct. I have a 28" Krieger ordered and figure I could shoot the 225's at around 3000' with a .738 b.c. That should get the job done, you think:D I have also considered having my own reamer made which would blow out the shortened case body and sharpen the shoulder to 40 degrees (you know me)!!.........Rich

OK, just so I understand, you are going to have a little more case capacity than the 300 win mag and shoot 225 gr bullets at 3000 fps?

OK, just so I understand, you are going to have a little more case capacity than the 300 win mag and shoot 225 gr bullets at 3000 fps?

Ok, that might be a bit of stretch, but with a 28" barrel, I would think 2950' would be very doable with the right powder. I can get 2950' with a 200 gr. bullet in my 300 Sherman with almost 20 grains less than the Ruger will have.....Rich

the 300 norma mag has no belt and has a .585 base.

You are absolutely right. I typed 0.532" without thinking. Sorry for the misinformation.

One of the advantages of the 300 Norma over say a 300 RUM is that you can feed it just about any 30 cal. bullet out there and still feed it from an AI mag without having to stuff the bullet deep into the case.

It is a very efficient, accurate round and definitely worth considering if you have a 338 Lapua bolt-face bolt.

I found out that the 300 HSM with the shoulder bumped back about .060" or so might just be the ticket. It would put the case capacity just above the WM without the belt. I am thinking about making a 225 grain SXR based on the exact same spec as my 190's and throated to seat the bullet at the shoulder/neck jct. I have a 28" Krieger ordered and figure I could shoot the 225's at around 3000' with a .738 b.c.

If you have a case capacity somewhere between the 300 win mag (~87 grs) and the 30/375 Ruger (~93 grs) you are still way way behind both the 30-378 Wtby and the 300 RUM (both ~110 grs IIRC) and neither the Wtby or the RUM reach 3000 fps with a 220 gr bullet in the book. I realize book velocities can be exceeded and that a 28" barrel will add some.

I would be surprised if any load for a caliber in the 300 win mag to 30/375 Ruger range would push a 225 gr bullet much past 2800 fps. Now I'm all over a 200 gr bullet hitting the 3000 fps within that powder capacity.

Sweet looking case huh!

If you get a reamer made, let me know. I may want to .... err .... uh .... borrow it from you!

Should get approx 6 or 7 more grains of powder capacity.

The 338/375 Ruger would be interesting too but I already have a 338RUM. Shooting those heavier bullets in the 225 to 250 gr also take it into the muzzle brake or heavier gun range for me.

I have a design figured out for a reamer which will shoot my 225 grain SXR's. I am also running it by "Phorwath" to see what he thinks. It will be a blown out case body with a 40 degree shoulder and the shoulder bumped back to produce a much better neck. Capacity should be within a grain of the original version. The throat will be longer to accomodate the 225 grainer without taking up case capacity....Rich

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.