30-338?????????

uncyboo

I have an opportunity to pick up a 30-338 sporter built on a 700 action for next to nothing. (less than $300) What are pros/cons of this caliber vs. traditional calibers such as 300 Win Mag or the new short mags?? Oh yeah, this comes with RCBS dies and I have been reloading for years, so the wildcat issue is no factor to me. This is a very nice looking gun in it's sporter configuration. TIA

Its a great round. Will give you performance within 50 to 100 fps of the Win Mag, generally within 50 fps and about 100 fps over the WSM.

Cases are very easy to form and accuracy is generally match quality depending on the fitting of the rifle.

Hell, for $300, if it does not shoot, just the Rem 700 receiver is worth that much to build on. Get it and see how it shoots.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Like the man said thats cheap.It uses about 10g of powder less than the mag.You can also run longer bullets in it,190+ is what they like,I have both and my aol is longer on the 30-338 than the mag,with about .25 shorter case.It is my understanding that is why they made it,Longer bullets.

The advise you have been give is right! I have a Remington 40X 30-338 Mag with a 1 in 10" twist, and it loves the Hornady A-Max 178-grain bullets with H4831 powder, and 210M primers. I'm getting 3120 fps at the muzzle, and the 5 shot groups are running .4s @ 200-yards. I have not had the best results with lighter bullets.

Thanks, guys. work at a pawn shop and this baby came in c-h-e-a-p. Think I'll pick it up. Like Kirby said, if it doesn't shoot, maybe I'll take a trip to Fort Shaw and let him do something with it!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts