30/338 wildcat

tamrock

After many,many round going down the tube of my 300 win mag i,ve had to rebarrel my A-bolt action and after talking about this project with a very well respcted and trusted gunsmith he advised me to rechamber to the 30/338 wildcat. Gunsmith did a great job blueprinting reciever installing Schneider 5p match stainlees steel 26" barrel refaced bolt contoured barrelto a heavy sporter, no break. First loads reloaded were 70 grs. RL-25 on top of Nosler 180 Accubonds. Extremely accurate 5 shot .21 group. Any information or experience with the 30/338 anyone could share would be appreciated , sadly gunsmith has become very ill forced to retire and move from area.

RH/

Most say to follow 308 Norma Mag reloading info for a place to start, but I haven't found a lot of data using some of the new powders and bullets. I ordered a new crony ( tired of borrowing my friends) so development will not start in earnest until then. Will have a break install recoil can be a problem

RH/

After many,many round going down the tube of my 300 win mag i,ve had to rebarrel my A-bolt action and after talking about this project with a very well respcted and trusted gunsmith he advised me to rechamber to the 30/338 wildcat. Gunsmith did a great job blueprinting reciever installing Schneider 5p match stainlees steel 26" barrel refaced bolt contoured barrelto a heavy sporter, no break. First loads reloaded were 70 grs. RL-25 on top of Nosler 180 Accubonds. Extremely accurate 5 shot .21 group. Any information or experience with the 30/338 anyone could share would be appreciated , sadly gunsmith has become very ill forced to retire and move from area.

RH/

the 30-.338 round is really nothing but a .308 Norma mag clone (very slightly different). It's a great round, and known for it's accuracey. The Norma chamber has a .059" longer neck length than the 30/338 case, and this is very desirable. Seems to handle heavier bullets better than the .300 Win mag. I'd simply rechamber the barrel in the standard .308 Norma mag (load data is identical to the wildcat). You can buy new cases from Norma, and that puts you ahead of the game.
gary

RH/

As other said you can use 308 Norma data. Sierra does have data for the 30-338mag

LoadData: .30-338 (Sierra Data - Edition V) Charge and Load Information/Data for the .30-338 (Sierra Data - Edition V).

I've had three 30-338mag build at present only have two first one was in the 80's and had good luck over the years with the 30-338mag.

As to any of the new powder Call Sierra see if they have any new data. Good luck

I just like the case vs other 30 cal mag I've had build over the years.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.