30-338 twist (did I pick the best?

DougH9

For my new long range hunting rifle I picked the 30-338 mag., and since I planned to use 180 gr bullets, I got a 12 twist Krieger, and sent it to the smith. In the (long) time that it has been at the smith, I am getting cold feet about the 12 twist. Especially since I may be forced into unleaded bullets, which are longer (I would use the 180 Tripple Shock if I had to). I am tempeted to contact the smith and get him a 10 twist barrel (I could use the 12 twist for my practice rifle). Does any one have any feedback for me on this? Thank you, Doug

the 1-12 twist should work fine with just about any 180gr class bullet , I have shot 190gr SMK bullets out of my 308's with good success. I would think that with the higher velocity of the 30-338 that you would probably be ok shoot say a 200gr hunting style bullet like the Partition or something thats not realy "long for weight"

ALOT of highpower shooters use 13 twist in their 300 win mags with 190s. Your 12 twist will handle anything up to 200ish just fine. We, as a whole, tend to overspin stuff. Don't sweat it and enjoy shooting it!!!!

Doug, hard to say which would be the best every barrel is different. I know alot of shooter who use 1/12 twist and consider them more of an all around twist for more bullet weights. If you look at Sako in their 30 cal they use 1/11 twist. You will be OK with a 1/12 and hard to say if the 1/10 would be better. In my 1/12 twist 30-338 there was only 8fps difference between the 165 and 180 gr bullets but almost 200fps slower going to the 200gr bullet. I've taken plenty of elk and deer with that 30-338 and 165 gr bullets barrel lenght is 26". My next 30-338 had a 1/10 twist barrel barrel length 24" and I've only shot 180gr bullets in that rifle and I just use it as a back up rifle to the other 30-338. I just had a pair of 300mag done up with 1/10 twist barrels for the 180 gr bullet one is a Lilja other a Kreiger. Kind of wanting to just try something different. Be interesting to see which barrel is faster.

Doug,

You would be best suited with a 10-11 twist. 10 if you want to go up to the 240 SMK or Heavy Wildcat bullets. I think you'd be fine with the 11 twist for fairly heavy bullets 200gr and under, VLD bullets or the solid copper TSX's might push the limit if MV is under 3000 fps or so. Error on the side of caution and go with the next faster twist if you plan on shooting heavier bullets in the future or you think it's marginal to begin with, when they keyhole you will wish you had. Most guys using 13-14 twists are Palma shooters with 30" barrels for top MV in 308 Win. shooting 155gr bullets, most anyone else uses a very minimum of 12 twist.

With a 30/338, IMO a 12 twist is borderline with 190's and marginal with 200's, most likely a 180 or possibly less will shoot fine and that's all I'd count on, "especially" if using the long copper TSX's.

The 10 twist would certainly not have killed accuracy either and you pretty much be set to shoot anything you wanted. 11 for what you talk about using would have been my choice, but I still would have went with the 10 in case I wanted to go heavy down the road.

Great feedback...thank you very much. I was feeling all reassured until Brents post! I do wish I had picked the 11 (or 10) twist for extra insureance. I really do not plan on ever using more that 180 grain bullet, but I think that the 180 TSX's are as long as 200 gr. regular ones.
Roper: How did the 200's shoot in your 12 twist, and did you ever go heavier for experimental reasons?

Doug

Doug, The 200gr were OK nothing to write home about they took up too much case capacity for my liking. I normally just stick to one bullet weight may change brands and thats about all. Both my rifles were build before bullets like the Scirocco or TSX. I sure would be talking to the gunsmith and see about the throat and if it will handle those type bullets you also need to check the magazine for OAL. Only problem heard about with the TSX is copper fouling at low velocity but I don't have any first hand knowledge. I had a 300wsm done up last with a Broughton 5c 1/12 twist barrel and the 165 gr were made for that barrel.
Well good luck.

[ QUOTE ]
For my new long range hunting rifle I picked the 30-338 mag., and since I planned to use 180 gr bullets, I got a 12 twist Krieger,

[/ QUOTE ]

You picked the right twist. Just got my 300 Savage/RUM/Kirby/Lilja back from Kirby yesterday. He took a slightly used 300 RUM Savage and put a heavy Lilja 1:12 twist as this will be my mid range ( to 750 yards ) deer/antelope/yote/gopher gun.

As the expert Daniel Lilja says, BR shooters always go for the lowest twist that will stabalize their bullet.

My 338 & 375 RUM/Kirby/Lilja will have a 1:10 twist sporting a massive Lilja 30" SS barrel.

Thanks again everyone.

I did a test this morning. I took my practice rifle (M70 Coyote, 308, 12 twist), and loaded some 200 gr SMK's (longest bullets I had) and shot them at 100 yds, just for giggles. I got three shots into 11/16", and round holes. And thoose were only going about 2,400 fps.

I will stick with the 1 in 12 for my new 300.

Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.