30-338 lapua

crittergetter

I was wondering if anyone shooting the 30-338 lapua could share some load data with 220 or 240 grain bullets.My rifle has a 30" Lilja barrel with 1 in 10 twist.The lighter bullets do ok (175 & 180) but not outstanding.One other question..I need a couple more jewel triggers for rem 700 wheres the best deals at. Thanks

Of course, I have an 11 twist barrel...

I am currently experimenting with the 220 MK, using 50BMG powder. 2 seating depths and 6 powder charges later, I am at 100.5 grains, 3250 fps and regular 5 shot groups into 3/8 MOA at 600 yards.

It's not the statistical accuracy equivalent of the 178 AMAX, but it'll sure beat the pants off it out at really long range!

Up next - the 210 JLK... Stay tuned!

STL_SHOOTER, I ran a 175 mk up to 109 gr of H50BMG but like I said it was nothing to brag about.My best load was 105gr which was just at 1/4" at a hundred yards but I only shot it once so who's to say what it might be next time because the other groups were almost twice that.I deer hunt at 1000 and under so maybe I should try the 178 AMAX. Also is the Bald Eagle rest what I need for 1000 hunting, my rifle weighs in at 40 lbs.Thanks

I heartily recommend the AMAX over the Matchking in that weight range. Even the casual observer will see a much higher level of consistency among AMAXs than with MKs.

shocked.gif
40 lbs, did you say? WOW! I am not qualified to answer your question - my puny rifle weighs about 18 lbs. and I shoot it off a short Harris bipod with stellar results. I'm not sure you could remove bipod legs from the ground after they'd been hammered in by your rifle!

Seriously, I'd try the Harris, but if it's not enough, there has to be a bipod design that has more mass and would work with a really heavy rifle - I've just never needed one.

Who built your rifle?

Crittergetter
I would think the heaver bullets would work better for you try H1000. I shoot a 40 pound gun and use the Hart 1000 yard rest with a portable bench and rear bag. If you have the Bald Eagle rest I would think it would work for you. How wide is the stock in the front where it would ride the bag?
Crow Mag

The rifle has a lilja 1 3/4" X 30" tapered barrel chambered by Clay Spencer,the stock is a six enterprise I install myself with some guidence by Clay,a Jewel 2 oz trigger & a Hall G action.I have 2 other rifles Clay chambered with his barrels a 300 win mag and a 300wsm they weight about 11 lbs.I have got them bedded but to date they are unfired.I was hoping to work with them shortly (if only you never had to work).I dont shot competition but went to the nationals in Hawksridge to watch,I need some serious work before I shoot with those guys.I do not have a rest yet I am open to suggestions though,I believe my heavy guns stock is 5" most of my lighter guns are under 3".

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.