30-30 Long Range Challenge

DENWA

Longest Distance to maintain 1 MOA 3 shot group wins

Rules are simple:

1. Must be a 30-30 LEVER ACTION Only
2. Can only shoot 5 shots at any distance, 3 are grouped for score
3. bench rest, sights, scope, loading single bullets at a time are all fair game

I have a feeling this maybe more difficult than you think!
My Sears model 54 wasn't up to the task at 50 or 100 yds so Its time to hit the load bench

Idea came to me from 15 years ago watching my brother shoot 2" groups, with open sites at ~200 yds at his farm in Texas.

Good luck

DENWA your brother was a really good shot!
My 1942 30wcf m94 won't quite hold 1 Moa at any distance with any load I have fed it the best so far was a 100gr Hornady half jacket with an even 40 gr of LeverEvolution Win brass and primer. The problem with that bullet is the wind pushes it real easy... I mean reeeaaalll easy

Edit: this was done with open sights and a red dot, no scope on the old Winny...

Man wish I still had my marlin micro groove barreled 30-30 . Only gun I've ever had stolen . That sucker shot real good had a 3-9 power scope . It would shoot 1 inch groups at 100 all day long. Man i wish I still had it I'd be all over this

I am thinking I may try some 150 gr. Sierra Pro Hunters as single feed just for hoots. I may find out I want to hunt with this old girl this year down in Indiana on private land where it is still legal to do so. Rifle was Dad's, to me and now it is my son's BUT it is on vacation in my safe so time to see what the old girl can do with old eyes. Well maybe somewhat old eyes. Cataract surgery 8 years ago got both eyes done with brandy new inner ocular lens which has transformed my hunting enormously! 20/15 farsighted so just need readers which makes hunting with scopes etc a breeze without glasses. Iron sights may be an interesting dilemma but will see how that goes this week. I will post up some velocities etc when I am done.

A couple years ago I found a 1972 model '94 at a pawn shop for $300. Reloaded for it. Found it shot well even with open sights. I was on a ranch and the owner said, I have a target on the hill at 300 yards if you want to give it a try. So I pulled out the '94, bang............clang. I put it away so I could say, "every time I shoot at 300 yards I hit the target." A couple weeks ago I was out on the range and there were some antelope on the hill. After they passed I looked ranged an antelope sized rock at 275. Hit it over and over. This old gun reloaded with the Hornady rubber tipped bullets, amazes me. Lets be clear. I'm not going to win any shooting contests at my skill level.

Man wish I still had my marlin micro groove barreled 30-30 . Only gun I've ever had stolen . That sucker shot real good had a 3-9 power scope . It would shoot 1 inch groups at 100 all day long. Man i wish I still had it I'd be all over this
Had one from 1955, great accuracy and pleasant to shoot all day
Sold it to my cousin as he was a lefty lol
Big mistake on my part lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts