30-30 loading 180 grain

Just the usual would anyone suspect a sudden bolt in your face? Im very cautious with these experiments. I don't believe the reloading manuals exclude sizes just because none asked.

A very similar round, the 303 Savage, was loaded with a 190-grain bullet. That was the standard weight for that cartridge, and its dimensions were not much different than the 30-30. Loading data is probably still available for that cartridge & bullet, and it would give you a starting point. Have fun with your project.

yes it does!! I hunt in western Wi and shooting 75 yards thru valleys and woods is a long shot. shot some real nice deer with that rifle for sure!!

yes it does!! I hunt in western Wi and shooting 75 yards thru valleys and woods is a long shot. shot some real nice deer with that rifle for sure!!
Ballistic of the 30-30 were very much improved with this bullet. The FTX was the bullet that opened my eyes to these what if questions on the old lever gun calibers.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.