30-30 lever gun shooting 1/2"????

meta

From a non-gun related site, someone is saying they have an old winchester lever action 30-30 that shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards consistently. He says that it was given to him by his father and that he has shot it for 20 years. He says that he is unsure if any work has been done to the gun, but his dad did some gunsmithing on occasion. I have NEVER seen a lever action 30-30 that will do anything close to 1/2 inch at 100 yards. I called the guys BS and started an argument.....yeah, I know, kinda futile on the internet. Anyone think its remotely possible?

Just because you haven't seen it or done it, doesnt mean its not possible. For you to call BS is a childish act in my eyes. I am only 18 now, but I use to get a lot of crap over on shooters.com when I was 17 and spent most my time there. I had guys callin BS on me half the time for shooting 400-600 yards on game animals. Saying I was far to young and didnt have the experience, blah blah blah. All I did was share my information and knowledge that I had from my own experiences and guys was gettin ****y and saying what I was doing wasn't ethical and I was full of crap and couldn't shoot that good and just making smart *** remarks in general towards me. Now to the original post. I know enough about guns and what not to know a lever action 30-30 is NOT suppose to shoot 1/2" groups regularly at 100 yards, but if the guy is saying it does then why not believe him? I highly doubt he has anything better to do then get on the internet and make up BS stories to tell. Then again I could be wrong.

I'm gonna call BS, too. I really do not see a lever-action firearm producing that kind of a group at 100 with any kind of relaibility...

I highly doubt he has anything better to do then get on the internet and make up BS stories to tell.

You may have led a bit of a sheltered internet life.
wink.gif

I'm 19 myself, but somehow I managed to avoid crap thrown at me, for the most part. I guess it is because I post mostly great message boards, like this one.

I would have to say my brothers 1899 savage 30-30 will shoot1/2 groups if tightened in a vice with 150gr federals. He was shooting with me while doing ballistic test's for my 30-378 and was hitting a javex bottle offhand at 623 yards 6-10 shots hit. ( like Quigley down under). I would say B.S. But I was there and still shocked,because he can't hit S*#T with his long range deer rifle.

I have a factory Mod 94 Trapper that is good for sub 1" groups at 50 yards which is where it is sighted. Only modification is a Williams receiver sight. It does this with fair consistancy and mediocre ammo. Methinks that WITH WORK they are capable of that perhaps, but NOT with iron sights. I did shoot a 3 shot cloverleaf one day and said "I'll never do that again. So far, I'm right.
rolleyes.gif

.. If ya REALLY wanna hear some BS, try placing a target from one of your best shooting rifles next to it on a table at a gunshow.. The infamous "1/2 inch thutty-thutty" and all sorts of other "one holers" will come out of the wood work.. The best I've heard was from a pal who had an "ex-SEAL buddy" who could "keep'em under a quarter all day long" at 300 yards with an AK..!! And would not back off.. I just quit talkin' with the **** fool..
.. The latest entry into the total BS dept was a guy down at rabbit hunting camp claiming his brother could shoot a perfect circle at 100 yards with his "thutty-thutty".. From the HIP..!!! (shhhesh.. And they ask me why I drink,?) d:^) JiNC

That like the guy I knew said the only rifle he takes out west was his Marlin 30-30 because he has no trouble hitting deer with it's open sites at 500 yards.

Never could get him to the range to prove it.

Yes you might find one to do it once in awhile. All the time I dought it.

I have a 94 in 30 30 I think the guy is full of something. The best i have ever done with my 94 is 1 in at 100 and not consistant either. Its a great deer gun tho.

".. The latest entry into the total BS dept was a guy down at rabbit hunting camp claiming his brother could shoot a perfect circle at 100 yards with his "thutty-thutty".. From the HIP..!!! "

Sounds like a sucker bet to me (I played the role of the sucker once). A guy bet me that he could draw a perfect circle by hand and have it be round within +/- .015". I being young and sure that this was impossible (sucker) took the bet. He proceeded to take a mechanical pencil, place the point on a piece of paper and spin it like a drill bit. The lead was .5mm (.020") and made a perfect .5mm circle.

If the guy only shot one shot, he would produce a perfect circle. Where the circle ends up may be up for discussion though.

That like the guy I knew said the only rifle he takes out west was his Marlin 30-30 because he has no trouble hitting deer with it's open sites at 500 yards.

Never could get him to the range to prove it.

Yes you might find one to do it once in awhile. All the time I dought it.
Don't know about this one. But my father bought mea Marlin 336 lever 30-30 in 1968.
Using factory Winchester super x 150 gr. At 100 yds off the bench with a bushnell banner 4x scope. Consistent groups of 3 shots and all bullets touched each other. That's no BS. That's a fact. I'm 68 now and still have this rig. And it still produces these groups.
And that's no BS either.

I have a 94 that is a total pile of crap, Winchester production of I think early to mid 80's. It was given to me. I say it is a pile because the extractor gouges the heck out of the brass so bad the brass will cut you if you run your finger around the rim of a fired case. It cycles like it's full of rocks. If you hold it up and shake it (empty) it rattles like a can of nails. That said. over the years I have shot several 3 shot groups right at 1 inch with it at 100 yards with the old Silvertip 150's. It flat shoots with the Silvertips but I am almost out of them and I have tried several different 150's and 170's of the last 6-8 years and best I have seen is 1.75"with Federal blue box 150's and most others being 2.5-3" with Fiocchi 170's being 4-6".

Ten years ago I would have never believed that.

A few years ago a few guys at the military base where I worked asked if they could come out to my place and if I could help them zero a couple of rifles. I had a nice range in my back yard at the time.
One of the guys pulled out an old beat up model 94. Bluing worn, stock finish worn and many dings and scratches. Probably one of the "most used" model 94s I had seen. None of the three guys were seasoned shooters. All three shot 3/4" and less groups with that rifle, with factory ammo! I couldn't believe it. I told the owner (who inherited the rifle) if he ever decided to sell it that I wanted first dibs at it.
I still find it hard to believe to this day.

18 year old thread--- but my marlin 30-30 will shoot close to 1/2 moa with hand loads. But the secret to it is I can only load 1-2 rounds at a time. The compressed spring in the tubular magazine will impart some differences in barrel harmonics when fully loaded