30-30 bullet choice

G

I want to load some light rounds for my young son to shoot. What is the lightest bullet that one could use for deer out to a max of 150y in a 30-30. Gun is not tubular mag. so can use any bullet. Any 125g bullets that would work. Thanks.

Since it is not a tubular feed rifle, use 125 gr Nosler Ballistic tips or maybe 130 gr Barnes TSX. Both should work fine for deer to well beyond the range limit you have set. The Noslers will most likely be more user friendly and definately cheaper.

I've had very good performance from the 130gr Hornady SP. Cheap, very accurate and deadly on deer. I've used it in Contenders from 2000 fps in the 10" .30 Herrett (dropped a NICE 13pt last year in his tracks at 50yds) up to 2500fps in the 14" 30-30 Ackley Improved (dropped three deer w/ it at ranges from 30 to 120yds).

Or 130 gr Speer HPs. My brother is shooting them in his Model 7 308 with 1/2-3/4" groups at 100 yards and 1.75" at 200m. His load is shooting at 3100 fps out of the short barrel. It has accounted for several whitetails out to 175 yards. The damage is consistent with what you would expect from a JHP at 3100 fps. The bullet does not exit from the boiler room inside of 125 yards as of yet, but accurate enough that he has taken a head shot at 175 yards with dramatic results.

Thanks for all the sugestions. Will see what I can get around here and give a few a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.