30-284?

I like that idea. I was thinking that at some point I'd like to get another Tikka rebarreled to a 338-284, 35-284, or 8-284, in a 20" and put some iron sights on it :)
Years ago I had a crusty 99 Savage in 284 that I considered reboring to .411. "400 Whelen short"

I checked out some of my fired cases this evening. The bullets slip very very easily through the case neck and when using a paperclip to feel inside the neck, there is no indication of the start of a donut there.

The case neck OD is 0.342 near the shoulder junction and at the mouth. I made up a dummy round for the Smith and the case neck OD is 0.338-0.339.

I sharpied up a fired and FL sized case w shoulder bumped 0.002 from max and chambered it. The majority of the marks come from around the body about 3/8" down from the shoulder and one strong mark right below the shoulder in one spot, but there's very light marks through the body down to about 3/16" from the rebate.

So, maybe he'll be able to do enough honing or something to give more room in that area.

Simply put....just not worth the time, effort and expense for basically nothing a 300 saum or wsm can do with no pain..
It's fun figuring it out and learning.

And, then I'd be able to buy factory ammo and there would be thousands of people with the same cartridge as me. Where's the fun in that? 😉

Also, I really like the '06 case capacity and feel like I need to keep up with the times and have a sexy 35 degree shoulder

Yes! You are right! Its not a 300 SAUM or WSM... Absolutely nothing wrong with those!!! But... Like the mechanics dream of a small block chevy... this is THE cartridge that just won't go away. And, people with the knowledge to delve into the next frankenstein cartridge have long been obsessed with what's next with this magnificent case!
Oh, I don't have to mention which parent case holds world records... but please allow the scientifically and mechanically interested masses indulge in what makes the rifle industry great!!
Heck, Lapua just recently (in October 2021) added straight 284 cal. brass to their lineup which tells the story of interest in the parent case.
Not the speediest ones in group... but don't be fooled because just about every wildcat variant of the original 284 Winchester parent case has been a winner!
Just my 2 cents...

Got my gun to the smith today for him to throat it and hone the chamber again. But, he said it would give another half thou max and swore up and down my die was the problem and that I needed to get a different sizing die.

I'm pretty darn sure the reamer is below min chamber siZe spec for 284. After I size my case, it measures a thou below max cartridge spec and there is a thou difference between max cartridge and min chamber. So if the reamer was min spec, I should still have 2 thou clearance but I don't because it still is tight to chamber a case.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like he'll be reaming it again.

So if I do have to get another sizing die, would a Redding S FL die work if I were to buy the 284win die and use a 30 call bushing? Or would the bushing not fit in that die? That's what he suggested, but I didn't know if that would work because I don't know the internal design of them.

Yes I could go custom die route, but Lee has suspended their orders for those and I don't have money for the expensive custom dies.

What's the cheapest solution to size the body for 284 case and size a 30 cal neck?

Ok... Just sold my dies and am selling another couple of pieces of equipment for a new die set. I figure that even if my rounds chamber more easily after getting my gun back, I'll still not have enough clearance for hunting.

So... There's a Redding 2 die full length set on grafs, but I could also go the route of a type S die. I looked on their website and the bushings are interchangeable through all dies. So that should work. I also emailed Redding to see if they could provide some specs on the die set that grafs has to make sure it would size enough.

Thoughts on which route to go? I've read that runout can sometimes be a problem using bushings. It sounds like using those dies generally benefit from doing neck turning, which I'm not sure if I want to have to do that right away.

Type S dies work very well. No runout issues.

Would you be able to verify a 284win type s would work on a 30cal neck? Their web site says the bushings are interchangeable, but then I'm not sure if the 30cal neck would fit through the hole in the top of the body cavity