30-284?

Did you ever end up doing this? I decided not to try it because the smith mentioned the 308 possibly not being concentric, like R cram mentioned. Also, it won't completely clean out the neck I don't think, so you'd want to be sure the reamer neck matches the existing chamber neck diameter.

Glad to hear you had success!! What velocity are you getting with the 190smk and h4350? What's barrel length?

I went with designing a reamer and made it a 30-284 AI, just to go full PIA for brass prep ;)

I love it, but wish I had designed my reamer with more freebore. However, it does shoot 185 juggs with h4350 extremely well.
I don't know what the muzzle velocity is but at 600 yds the target scoring machine said about1925 with a 27 inch barrel

I am wondering what people's thoughts are on this interesting cartridge. From what I understand it's basically a short action .30-06!

I have a little bit of money at the moment and it's burning a hole in my pocket. I've been thinking of either rebarreling my Tikka, getting a dedicated hunting gun (either Barrett fieldcraft or a Sako), or getting a fancy stocked walnut gloss blued rifle.

So, I'm wondering about people's experiences with this wildcat! I know qualcart makes brass, so it's nice I won't have to fireform, etc. The main draw to me is being able to load longer heavies in my Tikka and still fit the mag, while matching the '06 performance and possibly having a touch less recoil. If I went this route, I think I'd be looking at a bartlein, brux, hart, lilja, or benchmark.

How easy it is to load for?

Does it's performance match the .30-06 through the same range of bullet weighs or does it fall short with the heavier bullets (200gr)?

Am I going to have a hard time finding someone that has this reamer or finding a prefit?
I'm doing one but with the Shehane (1/2 of a AI) sidewall blow out. Still use regular headspace gauge. From 35 to 40 degree shoulder is not worth bothering with. I'm going to use 7.5x55 Swiss brass that has a regular rim so it will feed easy in my Swedish Mauser action.

Haha yes I understand that. I'm just wanting to know about potential difficulties in getting it done and doing it as affordably as I can.

I've never had a rebarrel done at all, so I don't even know if it would be hard to find a smith with that reamer and if I would be a large upcharge if he had to rent one. I would like to keep the barrel and smith costs to a total of $700, so it it's a lot more than that, I might have to wait a bit.

I'd like to be able to shoot 200gr at an '06 or better performance from a 22-24' barrel, song t would be good to know if someone has enough experience to educate me on that. This probably isn't a deal breaker though.
See my reply. I'm doing 30-.284 Shehane. Going to use 7.5x55 Swiss brass to avoid related rim and any feeding issues in my Swedish Mauser action.

What jud and feenix said. I have a .30-06 Tikka, so I would be able to use the same bolt without modification and load longer bullets using the same mag.

Researching the cartridge, I found that the case capacity is about 66 grains, so right around an '06 but then you have the benefit of it being more efficient.

I don't want to do the 300wsm due to having to use magnum primers, having to go through more powder, having to have a 24" barrel, dealing with magnum velocities and old school cup and core bullets (I like to shoot CCs), and having a shorter barrel life than an '06... I like to shoot at least once a week.

I truly wish this cartridge was saami. It's pretty much everything I could hope for in a "do it all" hunting cartridge.
Do the Shehane and get 3.3 more grains of powder, about 100 fps.

I hadn't shot my 30-284 in years and took it out of the safe a couple days ago. I happened onto this thread. I am going to take it out to the range this week.

I built this somewhere around 2011 for 1000 yard comps. It has a 30 inch Bartlien barrel and I get 2770 fps with 210 boolits.

I had the reamer made for the 225 gn Hornady match bullet which had just came out back then. If I remember it has 230 fb.

Reloder 17 gave me the best velocities.

Here is a pic next to a 308 Winchester.

Attachments

• 001 - Copy (57).JPG
    001 - Copy (57).JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 004 - Copy (51).JPG
    004 - Copy (51).JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 009 (7).JPG
    009 (7).JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 15