30-284 / coyote / gallon milk jugs

I shoot the 155 gr. A-MAX in my 30-30 Ackley Improved rifle as well, and out to 300 yards, it performs VERY WELL on deer and coyotes and is extremely accurate! This is my gun for "close range" and it has never let me down.

Deer taken with my 30-284 @ 1,042 yards with the 155 gr. A-MAX last year -

013_zps0be29e84.jpg

This doe was taken at 1,362 yards -

003_zps42f7b98f.jpg

I totally agree!

That doe was facing me head on, with it's head down feeding. I watched it for a solid 30 minutes and it never would turn broadside. So, the last time it put it's head down, I already had it ranged and the scope dialed in, I put the cross hairs just above the shoulders and centered, and gently squeezed the trigger till it fired. The deer just stood there and I thought I missed. I cased my gun, out it and the range finder in the truck, along with the spotting scope and whatever else was out on the bench. In all this time, I never saw the deer move, so I took my spotting scope out again and studied the deer for a minute or two, and I realized the deer was not standing, but it had dropped straight down, but had not layed over, which is why I kept thinking I had missed.

I drove out to the deer, and it was grave yard dead! The bullet had entered center, between the shoulder blades and busted the spine in two, with two vertebrae completely destroyed. Both the heart and lung had light bone shrapnel in them, but the busted spine is what put her down.

Still, it was good eating!

Sounds awesome, question? I am not a reloader. However I have a 6.5x284 shooting 140 vld over rutumbo at 2995 fps. And when u shake the cartridge it sounds and feels to be full. Question is, why does your rig shoot the 155 Amax at 3,400. Not doubting you just curious as to why. Trying to learn.

My load is compressed using H-414 powder, as I could not get enough 4350 or 4831 into the case to hit a maximum load. Even with a compressed load of H-414, I still have not hit a maximum load in this gun.

Slower burn rate powders like H-1000 and IMR-7828 produced loads considerably slower than H-414 and they were compressed, and still no maximum load!

H-414 produced the greatest accuracy with the greatest velocity, with my chosen bullet. I'm sure a change in bullet weight would alter everything, but I'm not about to find out. I set this gun up specifically for the 155 gr. A-MAX bullets, and I see no point it changing anything.

Example:

Take the 284 Winchester case and neck it down to 6mm, 257, 6.5, 284, and .30 caliber. Develope a 100 gr. bullet load in the 6mm. Then put that same load in all the other 284 base cartridges with a 100 gr. bullet, and each time you go up a caliber, pressures will keep getting lower. The larger the bullet diameter, the lower the pressures, given the same case dimensions, with no other basic changes.

Like most things in life though, not everything is carved in stone. Throat diameter, lead angle, freebore length and such all come into play as well.

But in general, the larger the bore diameter, the lower the pressures, and when you crank up the pressures, you also crank up the velocity.

I also said in the beginning of this post, that I had a "fast" barrel. I have seen other 30-284 rifles that would not touch 3,000 fps. with their best load and a 150 gr. bullet.

My favorite cartridge, the 6mm-284 is not always FAST either. I have seen this cartridge do 3,900 fps. with Sierra's 85 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King in certain barrels, and I have seen identical set ups that would not even come close to 3,400 fps. before maxing out full tilt!

This could get rather lengthy, so I'll stop here. I just hope I explained things good enough, but if not, then just ask!

The idea of the larger bullet in the same case with all else same equaling lower pressure makes since. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

I all honesy, all things considered at the time, I couldn't tell if it was a coyote or a deer! I knew I could make the shot, and I'm glad that it was a deer, but if it had turned out to be a coyote, it would have gotten it's picture on the wall with the rest of them.

Thousand fps and 350 lbs/ft is really pushing the envelope at 1362yards

There may be a little exaggeration going on here. He posted a different story here.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/30cal-155gr-a-max-harvest-information.235855/page-3
It's the same deer (on page 3) just at a different angle. You can tell by the blood splatter, the position of the deer, and the ground it's laying on.

I believe 1ASSASSIN and PR-6284 are one and the same.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/building-a-long-range-rifle-in-300-jr.258558/page-4
Looks like the same rifles to me.

"This is the doe I shot at 418 yards with a custom beltless 300 Weatherby Magnum, shooting Hornady's 155 gr. A-MAX with a muzzle velocity just over 3,600 fps.. This picture is where and how the deer was laying, when I walked up to it...
"

Last edited:
There may be a little exaggeration going on here. He posted a different story here.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/30cal-155gr-a-max-harvest-information.235855/page-3
It's the same deer (on page 3) just at a different angle. You can tell by the blood splatter, the position of the deer, and the ground it's laying on.

I believe 1ASSASSIN and PR-6284 are one and the same.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/building-a-long-range-rifle-in-300-jr.258558/page-4
Looks like the same rifles to me.

"This is the doe I shot at 418 yards with a custom beltless 300 Weatherby Magnum, shooting Hornady's 155 gr. A-MAX with a muzzle velocity just over 3,600 fps.. This picture is where and how the deer was laying, when I walked up to it...
"
Yep definitely the same deer. Not just by the blood splatter, but also by the markings of the ground around it. No question.

The wound on the back matches the description he gave also...there's really no reason to ******** us.
But tell one lie gotta tell a hundred.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts