30/28 Nosler

I was running on the top end of pressure anyway. That load was developed when it was cooler so about 40.
It's been 70-80 lately.
It does seem like I should be getting more RL26 in. That's another reason I'm playing with the Nosler brass. It might be the Bertram brass that is pressuring up sooner.

Kris

When we first started this 30/28 Nosler adventure, I had a set of custom dies made by Hornady. I think I sent them a drawing but don't remember. I think it would be simpler just to use the bushing die combination, and avoid the extra cost of the custom dies. I wished I had a thought of doing that that.

Shot my best 100 yard group ever today.
Glad I decided to play with the N570.
Started at 84 grns and worked upto 85.5.
As I increased powder so did the group size.
I had some loaded at 86 and figured I'd shoot them just because. Still wasn't at max pressure.
86 was the magic number.
I'm going to take it out tomorrow and shoot it at longer range and measure drops to determine FPS. Also going to try a little more powder since I'm not quite at max pressure.

Kris

Attachments

• 20200814_110617.jpg
    20200814_110617.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 133
Shot my best 100 yard group ever today.
Glad I decided to play with the N570.
Started at 84 grns and worked upto 85.5.
As I increased powder so did the group size.
I had some loaded at 86 and figured I'd shoot them just because. Still wasn't at max pressure.
86 was the magic number.
I'm going to take it out tomorrow and shoot it at longer range and measure drops to determine FPS. Also going to try a little more powder since I'm not quite at max pressure.

Kris
Nice group! N570 is great stuff in that size case.

You mentioned that as you increased in powder so did group size? Then 86 shot great? I would keep going and see what it looks like. Powder chargers shot in incremental sequence should come together then spread apart. When I have had bad groups on either side of a great one, it can result in a fluke. Test it out to make sure. Here is a target I shot a few days ago. Tried RL26 in my 7 saum. Look at the middle bottom row. 63.8 was awesome. 64 still good. 64.3 started to open up. I can see that it's coming in and out of tune. I would explore a little higher and load up some more of 86 and make sure your in the middle of accuracy. Groups like that keep us coming back for more.

Attachments

• AFBCDBCE-A747-41C2-9F71-4B4A118E1712.jpeg
    AFBCDBCE-A747-41C2-9F71-4B4A118E1712.jpeg
    806.8 KB · Views: 138
Exactly what I'm doing tomorrow.
Got some loaded a little hotter and about 6 loaded the same.
Very curious of what I'll find. Especially at longer distance.

Kris

Well she didn't exactly cooperate today.. got up early and was in the hills at the spot as it was getting daylight.
Couldn't duplicate those results. Walked away feeling frustrated. Nothing shot right for me today. Didn't even bother going long since the 100 yard game wasn't on.
I've got to get back to basics and see where I'm going wrong. Have a feeling it's in my brass prep. I noticed the bolt closing just a little stiff on this new unfired brass. Also going to clean the barrel. It's got 75-100 rounds on it since last cleaned maybe more.

Been helping my buddy get his Savage 300 wsm going and had pretty good success with it.

Kris