30-06AI

good story elkholic: you know the 270 and the 280 cases are the same length 64mm .of course the 280 sholder is moved forward enough so it will not chamber in the 270. Remington did this on purpose. just like Winchester designed the 300 win- so it won,t work in a 30 /338. in both cases the safety design increased the performance of each. I do like the neck on the Sherman.
I used 270 over the 280 mostly because the 280 had a .002" thinner neck wall on the brass I used. You can use 280 A.I. Nosler brass too and it doesnt need to stretch as much but its over priced for the quality, IMO.

elkholic i sure do like the sherman case , it looks good. I have a 338/06 AI and it likes reloader -15 powder. I think I get 2800 with the 215 so your sherman out shoot it at least 50 fps and you are in the same energy as the 338 win. I have a 375 Brown Whelen that Harry Mcgowen did for me after a conference with P O ackley son in law 30 years ago and it will really = the H&H factory loads and I think your sherman will do the same with a better neck to seat the bullet. it likes Reloader 15 also. and I am sure both will like R-16 just as well.

elkholic i sure do like the sherman case , it looks good. I have a 338/06 AI and it likes reloader -15 powder. I think I get 2800 with the 215 so your sherman out shoot it at least 50 fps and you are in the same energy as the 338 win. I have a 375 Brown Whelen that Harry Mcgowen did for me after a conference with P O ackley son in law 30 years ago and it will really = the H&H factory loads and I think your sherman will do the same with a better neck to seat the bullet. it likes Reloader 15 also. and I am sure both will like R-16 just as well.
I ran 200 grain AB's past 3100' with a 24" barrel.
I dont want to hijack this thread, but feel free to pm me if you want.

if i built a new wildcat I know the sherman case would be my choice. It looks like a good engineers case design. and a great shooter too.. also you are a hunter because you use the AB it is the king of expansion bullets and that are also very accurate.. we don't shoot paper, we shoot animals for food.

That's all I have ever done is hunt deer and elk here in eastern Idaho. My first gun was a 30-06 springfield. I pulled it out of a barrel with other used war rifles. Have always had an affinity for the '06. I shot many deer with its army peep sight until I could afford to put a Weaver 4x scope on it. Sold it in college because I was poor. I have wished I had taken out a loan instead. Started shooting magnums in the early 80's but have gravitated back to the '06 because it is an extremely efficient cartridge. But I would like to "improve" it if i could fairly easily and fairly painlessly.

Last edited:
20170519_093156.jpg
This is what my standard 30-06 gets with a 28" barrel using 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.These are standard book load weight charges.

That's all I have ever done is hunt deer and elk here in eastern Idaho. My first gun was a 30-06 springfield. I pulled it out of a barrel with other used war rifles. Have always had an affinity for the '06. I shot many deer with its army peep sight until I could afford to put a Weaver 4x scope on it. Sold it in college because I was poor. I have wished I had taken out a loan instead. Started shooting magnums in the early 80's but have gravitated back to the '06 because it is an extremely efficient cartridge. But I would like to "improve" it if i could fairly easily and fairly painlessly.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the venerable .30-06 that has been around for over 100 years, esp. if you keep it within its limitations. You'll be surprised what a longer barrel (~25 or so more velocity per inch) and faster twist (better bullet stability, esp. on heavier/longer bullets) can offer. "My" latest build is a straight .264 WM with 26" 1:7" 5R specifically to propel the 156 Berger. So far it is showing potential with factory ammo during barrel break-in, load development in progress.

In my .270 AI (30" 1:8" 3G Lilja barrel), I do not fireform, instead, I have an accuracy load for .270 Win (2919 FPS) and .270 AI (2993 FPS) with 175 Matrix.

If you must improve the cartridge, the AI is your best bet. The ability to fire factory ammo is hard to beat. My .30 LARA wildcat can shot the the .300 Weatherby (cheapest ~$40 for a box of 20) and .300 Jarrett (~$50 for a box of 10) factory ammo.

I know at least 3 wildcatters that have not joined in yet. 😇 Choices, choices, choices, do what is best for you, not what works for others or what others have. Lots of good recommendations but you have the ultimate decision "to AI or not to AI", that is the question.

Good luck!

Last edited: