30-06AI

As @Frog4aday noted, only you can make that decision. I have a .270 AI and for me, it is worth all the costs. I am in the process of re-chambering a .30-06 into .30 Gibbs and have factored all the associated costs too.

Good luck!
30 Gibb is also very intriguing. Brass is the big problem. Love the ballistics. Let us know when you begin testing it.

30 Gibb is also very intriguing. Brass is the big problem. Love the ballistics. Let us know when you begin testing it.

If you do your research and depending on work you are willing and able to do, you can use .30-06, .270 Win, .35 Whelen, etc., or .300 Gibbs made by Qual Cart. I already tried some .30-06 and .270 Win to establish the fake shoulder. Have some .35 Whelen inbound to try next.

Will do. Cheers!

yes, for the 3006AI . you can increase the load safely by 4% and more than likely 5% which will put you up too 300 H & H velocity.. YOU will need to use a little slower burning powder like R-22 Imr 4831. now for the Gibbs I have 20 years of experience with it in a 35 calibre.. I would use 280 remington brass. neck it up to 8mm or 338 then load a mild load with the bullet touching the rifles to fire form them. you by all means cannot-- I repeat do not fire 30/06 ammo in the gibbs chamber. the will be no headspace and all hell will break loose.. you need a 1mm longer case due to the 35* sholder in the gibbs. It is a bit of trouble but the results will be a magnum 30 cal rifle on a 280 rem case. the case will be 62.5 mm after firing which is perfect, you started with 64mm . My rifle is a 35 gibbs and I get 2825 with a 225 serria gameking bullet.. It is within 2% of the big 358 Norma- which is a very strong 35 magnum calibre.. you will need a 30 ca neck die but a 308 norma or 300 short mag die will work die will work with the right adjustment you need the 8mm or 338 ring on the case to have headspace for the forming of the case.

Since the Gibbs and the A.I. are both being compared, let me add someting that I think is relevant.
I shot a 6.5-06 A.I. for years and loved it. I took a pile of game including about 25 elk, moose, black bear, and countless deer.
After shooting out the second barrel, I decided to build a Gibbs to increase the performance over the A.I. I went so far as to order brass from Quality cartridge. When I held the brass in my hand, I realized how very short the neck was, and the wheels started turning. I liked the velocity of the Gibbs but much more preferred the A.I. design. Thats exactly how the very first Sherman was born back in 2008.
I used the 270 case to gain length for both capacity and still have a nice long neck.
I blew quite a bit more taper out of the case than even the A.I. and moved the shoulder forward of the A.I. as well.
The result was near identical case capacity of the Gibbs and still had a nice long .300" neck length. Far more than the Gibbs!
I say this because we've since built this case
on every bore size from 25 to 375.
Here is an example of performance:
338 Sherman with a 250 Berger and 24" barrel. 2810' with my hunting load and decent case life.
300 Sherman with a 28" barrel and 190 grain bullet. 3050' with good case life.
Brass is easy to form and has very little stretching after forming.
IMO, its the most you can get for all around performance with an '06 bolt and is a near equal to a belted mag with less recoil and better barrel life.
below vs '06
IMG_20190820_133546453.jpg

good story elkholic: you know the 270 and the 280 cases are the same length 64mm .of course the 280 sholder is moved forward enough so it will not chamber in the 270. Remington did this on purpose. just like Winchester designed the 300 win- so it won,t work in a 30 /338. in both cases the safety design increased the performance of each. I do like the neck on the Sherman.