30-06

upland bird hunter

I am new here and I am wanting to get into long range shooting. I bought a remmington 700 bdl in a 30-06 fluted barrel. I bought a 3-9 luepold about two years ago. I was wondering should I buy a new rifle and a new scope to go into long range. Or should I just get a new scope. I kinda of like the 6.5-284 and I want a nightforce scope.

I am new here and I am wanting to get into long range shooting. I bought a remmington 700 bdl in a 30-06 fluted barrel. I bought a 3-9 luepold about two years ago. I was wondering should I buy a new rifle and a new scope to go into long range. Or should I just get a new scope. I kinda of like the 6.5-284 and I want a nightforce scope.
The 06 has taken more game than any other rifle cartidge in history except for maybe the .22 LR, L, S and perhaps maybe the .303 british.

It can be a very effective and accurate LR cartridge within limits.

There's nothing in N. America I'd hesitate to take with one to at least 600yds, but that's pretty much what I'd consider a reasonable limit for it for anything bigger than a White Tailed Deer.

If you like the .30 cal (and only a fool doesn't) but want more power down range I'd say look at the .300 WM, .300 RUM.

Also beyond 500yds most would say you really need a minimum of 12-14x in a good quality scope like the VX III's. Some seem to believe you can't hit anything at 1,000 with less than 22x but I'm not in that crowd.

When it comes to glass though always spend more than you thought you could afford and get a little better quality and magnification than you think you'll need. If the budget limits me to choosing between more X and bigger Objectives I always go for the bigger objective because of better low light capability. It can make the difference between a once in a lifetime wall hanger and one you couldn't pull the trigger on due to clouds/fog or just running out of daylight.

A good rule of thumb is to be willing to spend as much on a scope as you will on your rifle.

There's nothing more frustrating than a great rifle that won't shoot because it's got cheap glass on it.

I am from oregon so we hunt all kinds of game. Thats why I got the 30-06. Thanks for all the information.
Having spent a lot of time hunting your upland birds I know the terrain.

If it were me I'd trade it in for a 300 WM or 300Rum for those cross canyon shots if you want to be able to reach out beyond 600yds.

Maybe I'll run into you around Brownlee, Hell's Canyon, or the Owahees sometime.

Some of my dogs live just down the road from you too in all likelihood.

You probably will see me there. My brittany and I will be in the owhyee middle of oct.
What other calibers would you suggest. I ll be hunting the snake river for elk next fall so thats kinda of my goal to have the rifle and have it shooting good by then.

You probably will see me there. My brittany and I will be in the owhyee middle of oct.
What other calibers would you suggest. I ll be hunting the snake river for elk next fall so thats kinda of my goal to have the rifle and have it shooting good by then.
I'm WildRose German Shorthairs but by benefit of marriage I also own one of the nicest Brits that was ever born. Hell he's one of the top three dogs I've ever seen and I've produced a dozen top ten GSP's HA!

The two above in the 30's, 7mm mag, 7 RUM, 7mm STW or .264 WM would be the way I'd go.

Out to eight hundred all would be adequate though the .264 is reaching it's limit even with 140's, but if you can place it where it needs to be it will do the job.

My personal favorites would be the .300Rum and 7mm STW but the STW and 7 Rum are very similar in performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.