30-06

Mac11700

Hi Folks:

I was just wondering..how many here actually use a standard 30-06 for any long range hunting? If so..what loads/favorite bullets do you like for whitetail/muley/elk..at ranges from 100-700 yards..I picked up a nice little Remington 700 XHR last week and want to develope some loads for it..

Thanks

Mac

I've never done any long range with it, but the 168g ballistic silvertips downed 2 caribou (granted they were only around 100 yd) very quickly last year, and a doe this year out of my 308. My rifle always shot the factory ammo loaded with this better than anything else. Never reloaded for it, but I can't complain about the bullets performance out of factory ammo! Used them for my 30-06 before it got ruined, and now my 308. I heard that they won't stack up too well for elk, but I can say on caribou and deer they were deadly with lung/heart shots.

It all depends on how you define long range hunting (LRH). The 30-06 is a great "do all" round, but it has its limitations. The name of the game in LRH is pushing bullets with a high ballistic coefficient (BC) at high rates of speed. The reason for these requirements is wind, or to be more specific: the ability to buck the wind.

While there is a great selection of high BC bullets in 30 cal, the 30-06 just can't come close to the speed of the 300 magnums. Accordingly, wind will have more of an impact on the same bullet shot out of a 30-06 than it will out of a 300 RUM. For me, I would probably limit myself to shots at 700 yds. or less using 180-200 gr. bullets like the SMK or AB - but that is just me. Your own skills and ethics, coupled with current conditions when evaluating the shot, will determine just how far out you are willing to go.

BTW: My favorite 30-06 load is 60.5 gr. of H 4831 SC topped with a 180 gr. Nosler AB. In modern reloading manuals this is listed as a max load (but not in the older ones), so you need to work up to it while looking for signs of excessive pressure.

I've never done any long range with it, but the 168g ballistic silvertips downed 2 caribou (granted they were only around 100 yd) very quickly last year, and a doe this year out of my 308. My rifle always shot the factory ammo loaded with this better than anything else. Never reloaded for it, but I can't complain about the bullets performance out of factory ammo! Used them for my 30-06 before it got ruined, and now my 308. I heard that they won't stack up too well for elk, but I can say on caribou and deer they were deadly with lung/heart shots.

Thanks..I've used the BST bullets before out of a 25-06 & 270..and while impressed with their accuracy..really hated the clean up of them..

Mac

It all depends on how you define long range hunting (LRH). The 30-06 is a great "do all" round, but it has its limitations. The name of the game in LRH is pushing bullets with a high ballistic coefficient (BC) at high rates of speed. The reason for these requirements is wind, or to be more specific: the ability to buck the wind.

While there is a great selection of high BC bullets in 30 cal, the 30-06 just can't come close to the speed of the 300 magnums. Accordingly, wind will have more of an impact on the same bullet shot out of a 30-06 than it will out of a 300 RUM. For me, I would probably limit myself to shots at 700 yds. or less using 180-200 gr. bullets like the SMK or AB - but that is just me. Your own skills and ethics, coupled with current conditions when evaluating the shot, will determine just how far out you are willing to go.

BTW: My favorite 30-06 load is 60.5 gr. of H 4831 SC topped with a 180 gr. Nosler AB. In modern reloading manuals this is listed as a max load (but not in the older ones), so you need to work up to it while looking for signs of excessive pressure.

I define LRH at 500 yards or greater..While I do know their are faster cartridges available for doing this type of hunting..I am mainly interested in maximizing the capabilities of the 30-06..and not any of the magnums..I need a load that will perform admirable from up close to my comfort zone of 600-700 yards..I am full aware of how the wind can effect a bullets accuracy and that is the reason I am seeking out those who use this cartridge at those yardages..and their preference in bullets/loads...and their performance on the game I intend to hunt.With as long as this round has been around..I figure many have used it in the past and or still today... in the present. Magnums do offer more at those extended ranges..but..I have no interest in them at the present. I have varied hunting terrain here in Missouri..and depending on the wind..can have shots as close as 100..and as far as 700 yards..on the same days hunt.When I get to hunt elsewhere for Mulies and elk..I intend on still using the 30-06..provided I can find a suitable load that will give me the performance on the game I am looking for and is accurate enough to ensure that if I do my part..a humane kill..

Thank You for your data..I will try it and see how well it does..

Mac

56.5g Varget, GS Custom HV bullet, @ 3230fps. This is out of a 22" barrel. Will perform nicely out to 700yrds.

Steve

I killed a nice six by seven bull elk last September with a 168 bullistic tip Granted it was only 100 yrds. Just yesterday I put 3 holes in paper 1/3 minuet group @ 300 yrds
1/2 grn under max recommended load 58.5 grns H 4350 168 nosler bullistic tip 215 fed primer 2808 fps
It was probably an accident.
I have used alot of bullets in this gun the bullistic tips seem to be as accurate as any. Barnes 180's were terrible in my gun the old fail safe 165's shoot good but I wouldn't hunt with them again act to much like a fmj
if you look at your charts this load has just under 900 ft pounds @ 900 yards moving about 1500 fps it will kill a deer with a well placed shot but you better know your gun well, to make a shot that long it will drop about 220" zeroed @ 200 that is @ 5000'
I forgot to mention the elk I killed I decided to use the 06 even though my brand new 270 amp custom built long range rifle sat in my truck guess I was just more comfortable in the trees @ close quarters with it

What lenght barrel are you using on this rifle?

Mac

The rifle is an off the shelf Browning A-bolt White Gold Medallion. Barrel length is 22"

@ 3000ft elev and 200yrd zero

3230fps MV
700yrds- 88.8" or 12.1moa drop
35.8" or 4.9moa wind full value 10mph
impact vel=1884fps

Bullet is designed to work to 1600fps, well within specs.

Steve

The rifle is an off the shelf Browning A-bolt White Gold Medallion. Barrel length is 22"

@ 3000ft elev and 200yrd zero

3230fps MV
700yrds- 88.8" or 12.1moa drop
35.8" or 4.9moa wind full value 10mph
impact vel=1884fps

Bullet is designed to work to 1600fps, well within specs.

Steve

Have you had much luck with this combination? How was the bullet performance and what game have you taken yet with it..I've been to their web site and the testimonials are pretty impressive..to say the least..My understanding is this 150grain bulet is the equivalent of the 180's/190's in performance and BC..Is that a correct assumption on my part?

Thanks

Mac

So far this combination has done what GS says it will. The only long range work with this particular rifle has been on steel. On game has only been at conventional ranges, (out to 300yrds) on mule deer. It is my Uncle's rifle, and we will have him set up this year for longer range work.

This post may start a ****ing match because in the past GS had inflated bc's that put a bad taste in the mouth of the long range hunting world. My experience so far with the several calibers that I have worked with has been very good. The on game performance is undeniable. BC work is going to take others beside me to do testing in order to repair the reputation from the past. I for one am sold, this is my go to hunting bullet.

Steve

So far this combination has done what GS says it will. The only long range work with this particular rifle has been on steel. On game has only been at conventional ranges, (out to 300yrds) on mule deer. It is my Uncle's rifle, and we will have him set up this year for longer range work.

This post may start a ****ing match because in the past GS had inflated bc's that put a bad taste in the mouth of the long range hunting world. My experience so far with the several calibers that I have worked with has been very good. The on game performance is undeniable. BC work is going to take others beside me to do testing in order to repair the reputation from the past. I for one am sold, this is my go to hunting bullet.

Steve

If the bullets do what they say they do..then to me that is all that really matters..I am curious as to how you derived your data if the BC's are off..or if you have the data..and don't want to start any Pmatches..please feel free to PM me..

PS...any pics of the mulie...? Love to see them if you do..

Thanks Again

Mac

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.