30-06??

The bullet needs adequate velocity to perform as designed.
^this

Guns range needs to be determined for hunting by where the bullet performs and loading will dictate that speed.

A corelokt 300 win mag factory load for instance Peter's out at 400 yard. But put a proper pill and you can extend that range.

Each person needs to really decide what there conscience, skill, and equipment is going to do. I dont go by "energy" to determine that. States use that to try and keep the equipment up to snuff for big game. Others have caliber size limit ect...those are guidlines and minimums.

I was simply trying to make a fellow shooter feel good about his choice of rifle and caliber, and to some of us 300 to 400 yards is Long Range . However , please forgive a really dumb question, but "What do we actually classify as a LONG RANGE HUNTING Cartridge??" Is it a round that can take Mule Deer or Antelope cleanly at 800 plus yards. Is it a round that can take Elk at 800 yards??? If a bullet with a High BC is still super sonic at 800 ,900 or 1000 yards does it qualify as being a LONG RANGE HUNTING Cartridge?? If so , what about energy at those ranges. Do we have suggested Guidelines for energy being delivered at those very long ranges. So as previously pointed out, this is a LONG RANGE HUNTING forum, not shooting 101 , so what's the formula??? OR are some rounds really just LONG RANGE TARGET Rounds, capable of hitting a 6 inch plate at 1000 yards but may actually lack the energy to properly ,cleanly and ethically take game at those extreme ranges. I can say that my . 270 Weatherby Mag, with a 150 Grn Accubond LR , fired at 3000 fps, from a 26 inch barrel , even at 4000 feet altitude , does not retain sufficient energy for me to shoot at a mule deer at 1000 yards, even though the projectile is still traveling at supersonic velocity . In My Opinion , the energy just isn't there. So, Just wondering what the Velocity / Energy / Range guidelines are to classify a cartridge a true Long Range Hunting Cartridge?
Here is a site that deals with this issue, "Terminal Ballistics" Nathan Foster from New Zealand has a wealth of practical information and experience on this subject.

Well I just ran a ballistic check on Strelok pro on the 30-06 using the 155.5 grain (bc .589) FlatLine bullet, because it's all about velocity and the BC.

Turns out, according to published reload data, the 06 using 65g of Ramshot Hunter powder, can start it at 3135 fps. and over 3300ft-lbs of energy!
That translates into beating not only the Creedmore, but it beats the " Inter-galacticaly Amazing" 6.5-284, and the ballistically identical 6.5-06, using the 143 gr. (bc .625) EDLX out to 1600 yards!

Supersonic to 1600 yards! Beats it with velocity, energy, drop, and drift.

Hmmmm, turns out the 30 Govt of 1906 is better than you think
What barrel length was this info generated with?

24" barrel, look it up on Ramshot website. Superformance does it too.
And under 60000 psi, max pressure for 30-06.
What's so hard to believe that velocity?
308 gets to around 2900 on 45 grains, although it's max pressure is 62000.
Many opinions on some loads the 06 could use a longer barrel for target work to get even more velocity.

Not hard to believe. Was just curious. Could have looked it up myself.
24" barrel, look it up on Ramshot website. Superformance does it too.
And under 60000 psi, max pressure for 30-06.
What's so hard to believe that velocity?
308 gets to around 2900 on 45 grains, although it's max pressure is 62000.
Many opinions on some loads the 06 could use a longer barrel for target work to get even more ve

^this

Guns range needs to be determined for hunting by where the bullet performs and loading will dictate that speed.

A corelokt 300 win mag factory load for instance Peter's out at 400 yard. But put a proper pill and you can extend that range.

Each person needs to really decide what there conscience, skill, and equipment is going to do. I dont go by "energy" to determine that. States use that to try and keep the equipment up to snuff for big game. Others have caliber size limit ect...those are guidlines and minimums.
"Peters out", well they used to be called Remington Peters but I never made the connection.

I'm 71, perhaps an old guy to some.
I'll be 84 in a couple of months. I shoot at least 3 times a week (precision airgun). I haven't missed the opening of elk season in the last 44 years. I've filled my elk tag the last 4 seasons, from 200 to 670 yds. So, at 67 you have lots of hunting years ahead of you. I killed several elk with a pre-war Mod 70 30-06. Now shoot a Mod 70, .300 WSM with a brake. 700 yds is my limit on elk, based on a minimum of 1500 ft lb of energy. My current load with a 181 gr Hammer Hunter, meets that criteria, as well as terminal performance. My second choice is the Federal 175 gr Terminal Ascent out to 650 yds. For elk, I'm a .30 cal fan, your choice of a Weatherby .30-06 is an excellent one. This forum is great place to learn about shooting, hunting and reloading.

I'll be 84 in a couple of months. I shoot at least 3 times a week (precision airgun). I haven't missed the opening of elk season in the last 44 years. I've filled my elk tag the last 4 seasons, from 200 to 670 yds. So, at 67 you have lots of hunting years ahead of you. I killed several elk with a pre-war Mod 70 30-06. Now shoot a Mod 70, .300 WSM with a brake. 700 yds is my limit on elk, based on a minimum of 1500 ft lb of energy. My current load with a 181 gr Hammer Hunter, meets that criteria, as well as terminal performance. My second choice is the Federal 175 gr Terminal Ascent out to 650 yds. For elk, I'm a .30 cal fan, your choice of a Weatherby .30-06 is an excellent one. This forum is great place to learn about shooting, hunting and reloading.
Two things come to mind that may have a bearing on this subject. Ballistic coefficient and sectional density. To get a bullet to cut through the air and have a higher BC is not just in streamlining. It usually also considers length, resulting in a longer skinnier bullet. Thus the sectional density, which is the relationship of length to the diameter, is increased. To have high BC in a given bore diameter, the bullet needs to be longer and heavier which then usually requires more case capacity which means overbore and usually finicky to find good load. I said all that to say this. The 30-06 is a well balanced cartridge and is one of the best all around cartridges. Yes I have a 30 caliber gun that holds twice the powder of the 30-06 but it is finicky and is inefficient meaning overbore and diminishing returns as it takes a lot more powder and produces a small velocity increase in comparison. The 30-06 will shoot a 150 grain bullet approximately the same velocity the 25-06 shoots a 120 grain bullet. As old as it is it is a great cartridge. Now, how about that 308 Winchester...

Two things come to mind that may have a bearing on this subject. Ballistic coefficient and sectional density. To get a bullet to cut through the air and have a higher BC is not just in streamlining. It usually also considers length, resulting in a longer skinnier bullet. Thus the sectional density, which is the relationship of length to the diameter, is increased. To have high BC in a given bore diameter, the bullet needs to be longer and heavier which then usually requires more case capacity which means overbore and usually finicky to find good load. I said all that to say this. The 30-06 is a well balanced cartridge and is one of the best all around cartridges. Yes I have a 30 caliber gun that holds twice the powder of the 30-06 but it is finicky and is inefficient meaning overbore and diminishing returns as it takes a lot more powder and produces a small velocity increase in comparison. The 30-06 will shoot a 150 grain bullet approximately the same velocity the 25-06 shoots a 120 grain bullet. As old as it is it is a great cartridge. Now, how about that 308 Winchester...
Thanks you. In my choice of 30-06 I also considered the. 308.
It was as I kept reading articles on smaller Caliber rounds that I got confused.
And then the 2.8 western came out, which seems like a .270 with changes that I didn't fully
understand. So I started thinking may I should have waited.

Impressive
I am 67, I feel good at this point and I hope that I can get those "bonus years" to hunt as you have.
Even when we are younger but we don't realize it then, every day is a gift from God.
Right now for bigger game I use a 300WM Sendero.