30-06??

Well I just ran a ballistic check on Strelok pro on the 30-06 using the 155.5 grain (bc .589) FlatLine bullet, because it's all about velocity and the BC.

Turns out, according to published reload data, the 06 using 65g of Ramshot Hunter powder, can start it at 3135 fps. and over 3300ft-lbs of energy!
That translates into beating not only the Creedmore, but it beats the " Inter-galacticaly Amazing" 6.5-284, and the ballistically identical 6.5-06, using the 143 gr. (bc .625) EDLX out to 1600 yards!

Supersonic to 1600 yards! Beats it with velocity, energy, drop, and drift.

Hmmmm, turns out the 30 Govt of 1906 is better than you think

Oh BTW, the numbers run pretty close to the even more "Amazing 7 Rem Mag" using 162gr. bc .613 ELDX.
Which goes transonic after 1600 yards

Well I just ran a ballistic check on Strelok pro on the 30-06 using the 155.5 grain (bc .589) FlatLine bullet, because it's all about velocity and the BC.

Turns out, according to published reload data, the 06 using 65g of Ramshot Hunter powder, can start it at 3135 fps. and over 3300ft-lbs of energy!
That translates into beating not only the Creedmore, but it beats the " Inter-galacticaly Amazing" 6.5-284, and the ballistically identical 6.5-06, using the 143 gr. (bc .625) EDLX out to 1600 yards!

Supersonic to 1600 yards! Beats it with velocity, energy, drop, and drift.

Hmmmm, turns out the 30 Govt of 1906 is better than you think
IME, 150's out of an '06 will fold up a deer like an ironing board.

Wow which model did you get that comes threaded? That's awesome and I imagine a 24" barrel also. Smart choice!
I ordered a custom vanguard because I thought the weatherby ammo would cost more.
So a black hand laid fiberglass stock with grey high lights. #2 24" barrel threaded.
My initials will be on the bottom plate.

In our powder pandemic crisis shortage thing I think the turdy 06 is a great choice. A 178 eldx will do the things carlos hancocks 173 match bullets did with less meat damage. And you won't have to scour the interweb nearly as bad as the prc shooters. Different cartridges are fun and there's always different ideas for different situations but dont second guess the tried and true 30-06 in performance and cost/value....have fun with it.

Barrel life is something I was concerned about as I'm hoping to shoot at least twice a month....40 rounds?
How you shoot them is going to be more important than total count. Run them in 3-5 shot groups with some time between shots and the barrel cooling between groups, and you'll have a happy long barrel life. If you run bolt drills and shoot all 40 rounds in 5 mins, you're going to have a bad time. 30-06 isn't a fire breather that will crack your barrel in 500 rounds like some overbore magnums, but you can trash any barrel if you try.

If you can find one right now, get a 22LR or 17HMR, some kind of rimfire to shoot in between groups. I have some lightweight sporter barrels that are done after 3 shots, and I don't have to sit around doing nada if I have a rimfire with me.

When you consider it was never developed to be anything but a Military Cartridge, it is truly impressive how versatile it really is. Even as a huge 270 fan, I have always believed the "06" the best all around Hunting/ Shooting Round we have. If there was ever a perfect all around compromise cartridge its the 30-06 in the USA just like ( the 375H and H in Africa. ) If a hunter had just one Hi Quality, Accurate, Bolt Action Rifle ( with High Quality Optics ) for hunting medium and large North America, with the exception of the big Brown Bears, he or she would be just fine with the 30 -06. Some times the easy answer is the correct one. There is a reason its been with us for 115 years! It works !!! Just my personal opinion gentlemen !

I was simply trying to make a fellow shooter feel good about his choice of rifle and caliber, and to some of us 300 to 400 yards is Long Range . However , please forgive a really dumb question, but "What do we actually classify as a LONG RANGE HUNTING Cartridge??" Is it a round that can take Mule Deer or Antelope cleanly at 800 plus yards. Is it a round that can take Elk at 800 yards??? If a bullet with a High BC is still super sonic at 800 ,900 or 1000 yards does it qualify as being a LONG RANGE HUNTING Cartridge?? If so , what about energy at those ranges. Do we have suggested Guidelines for energy being delivered at those very long ranges. So as previously pointed out, this is a LONG RANGE HUNTING forum, not shooting 101 , so what's the formula??? OR are some rounds really just LONG RANGE TARGET Rounds, capable of hitting a 6 inch plate at 1000 yards but may actually lack the energy to properly ,cleanly and ethically take game at those extreme ranges. I can say that my . 270 Weatherby Mag, with a 150 Grn Accubond LR , fired at 3000 fps, from a 26 inch barrel , even at 4000 feet altitude , does not retain sufficient energy for me to shoot at a mule deer at 1000 yards, even though the projectile is still traveling at supersonic velocity . In My Opinion , the energy just isn't there. So, Just wondering what the Velocity / Energy / Range guidelines are to classify a cartridge a true Long Range Hunting Cartridge?

I know these folks that have hunted all over the planet and they always included a .30-06 with their assortment of rifles that at times included a .416 Rigby, .300 WM, .375 H&H and .270. Looking at their photo's and stuffed trophies I saw that the .30-06 killed many big animals. I also learned that none of the animals were shot at ranges over 400 yards most at under 300. My favorite .30-06 load is a good 165-168 grain bullet with H4350. To me punching a bullet thru the lung/heart area of an animal with a broadside shot is ideal but often circumstances don't allow that. My self imposed limit for deers & such is 400 yards. Beyond that the trajectory rapidly become more curved - like a 15 inch correction at 400 can be increased to over 3 feet at 500 . TOF is increased as to cause a miss when the target moves a foot or so. The bullet needs adequate velocity to perform as designed.

Last edited:

Recent Posts