30-06??

If your rifle comes with a threaded barrel like many do now, I would recommend getting a good muzzle break for practice time and load development. It will make range time much easier on the shoulder. Also many muzzle breaks come now coupled with a tunner which can help with barrel harmonics. This is real handy when shooting factory ammo where you can't tune the load during development.
Thanks, it comes threaded.

I have ordered a 30-06 custom from Weatherby about a month ago.
I plan on shooting for fun and mostly targets.
But I will be learning to hunt. At 67 I figure it's never to late to learn, and I have a very experienced stepson to help.
(ELK)
But with what I'm seeing these days i must have chosen the wrong cartridge.
Maybe I should have gone 6.5 Cm or the new 6.8.
Or the 270 weatherby.
Your opinions are the reason for the post.
Newguy
Personall, I'd use 165 accubond, Sierra hornady etc, that will kill about anything you need, get a decent variable scope and you're good to go. Good luck

R-Dog, my father was an NRA rated master and all he shot was a 30/06. He shot 100's at 1000 yards using hand loaded Sierra 190 match kings and Palma peep sights. That said he never shot at an animal over 400 yards with his 06 because of the lack of residual energy in the 180 grain sierra's he used for hunting.
The point I'm trying make is just because you can shoot an 06 accurately at a thousand yards doesn't make it ethical to do so.
Have fun with your new rifle and enjoy your time with your son in law. That's what's important IMHO.

Nothing wrong with a 30-06. The only thing is what is the twist rate of the barrel? Copper bullets require faster twist rates, than jacketed lead bullets. If you are hand loading I would look at 150 to 165 grain bullets, and get the velocity up it will flatten out the down range drop. If you have a faster twist barrel then I would look at Hammer bullets. At the same time you will need to see what it likes. Great luck to have a son-in-law that trying to get you into hunting.
It's not because they are copper, it's because they are longer. Longer bullets in any material need a faster twist. A quick calculation is Dia. X Dia. X 150÷Bullet length= barrel twist. Example: .308"×.308"×150÷1"=14.23" so in this example a 1:14" barrel would stabilize the bullet in this example. There are also calculators on line that do the math for you.

R-Dog, my father was an NRA rated master and all he shot was a 30/06. He shot 100's at 1000 yards using hand loaded Sierra 190 match kings and Palma peep sights. That said he never shot at an animal over 400 yards with his 06 because of the lack of residual energy in the 180 grain sierra's he used for hunting.
The point I'm trying make is just because you can shoot an 06 accurately at a thousand yards doesn't make it ethical to do so.
Have fun with your new rifle and enjoy your time with your son in law. That's what's important IMHO.
That's great advice

I have ordered a 30-06 custom from Weatherby about a month ago.
I plan on shooting for fun and mostly targets.
But I will be learning to hunt. At 67 I figure it's never to late to learn, and I have a very experienced stepson to help.
(ELK)
But with what I'm seeing these days i must have chosen the wrong cartridge.
Maybe I should have gone 6.5 Cm or the new 6.8.
Or the 270 weatherby.
Your opinions are the reason for the post.
Newguy
No wrong choice....don't drink the KOOL-ADE...served up here in large doses! Your 06...will be just fine!

I've had good success with my 30-06 shooting federal premium trophy copper, 180 gr. This round in the pic entered a cow elk that was quartered away at 175 yds on the right shoulder and exited the left rump. Found the round lodged between the hide and rump when skinning. It's a reasonably priced, off the shelf factory ammo and shoots very accurately out of my rifle. Good luck!

Attachments

• 180 gr tophy copper federal premium-2.jpg
    180 gr tophy copper federal premium-2.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 72
R-Dog, if not one else has said it, "Welcome to the site". I will everyone else will help you in any way we can.
I like Berger bullets and Barnes Bullets. never under estimate Nosler or Swift either.
I have no experience with Hammer or Cutting Edge are not known to me due to me never using them.
the 30-06 is a good hunting round. lots of loads, lots of loading data and if you went with the 1:8" twist over the 1:10" twist you can shoot very effectively the 180 to 230 grain slugs.
Hunting Elk or Deer; it's all fun until the cutting starts then it's a bit more like work. 😅
I am proud that you are getting into hunting at your age. it's good to see more people getting out afield no matter the age.
best advice I can give you is find what your gun likes: bullet, case, powder, primer, Collective Overall length of cartridge/ set back from the lands and grooves, and make sure you have a good length of pull for you on the stock. LOP on the stock will make it much more comfortable to shoot and it will make you more comfortable wait on the best shot possible.
have a great one.

R-Dog, in decades of shooting and hunting, I have run up and down the caliber ladder, and returned to the 30-06. Its versatility makes it a great choice for hunting and even long-range shooting. Remember, up until the 1960s the '06 won many 1000 yard matches, until the 300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag eclipsed it. I recently had mine at a range outside Fort Worth, banging steel at 1000 handily. As some of the gang here have mentioned, modern factory loads have upped the ante on the cartridge's capabilities and relevance. That, and it's a fun cartridge to hand load. Enjoy your rifle, don't regret your choice. Later, if you get the bug for another caliber, there's a host of members here that can extoll you with their favorites. That 's the fun of it!