30-06??

I have ordered a 30-06 custom from Weatherby about a month ago.
I plan on shooting for fun and mostly targets.
But I will be learning to hunt. At 67 I figure it's never to late to learn, and I have a very experienced stepson to help.
(ELK)
But with what I'm seeing these days i must have chosen the wrong cartridge.
Maybe I should have gone 6.5 Cm or the new 6.8.
Or the 270 weatherby.
Your opinions are the reason for the post.
Newguy
Nothing wrong with the 30-06.. itll kill elk all day long.

Having said that, there are cartridges with better ballistics for the same amount of recoil. There are also cartridges with the same ballistics for less recoil. Thankfully our understanding of cartridge design and ballistics have improved, but nothing in the world wrong with the 30-06.

Like so many here, 30-06 was my first centerfire rifle. Still have it. Bought new one last Summer and killed a deer with it already. Mine likes 165, 178, 180 and 190 grain bullets so far. So it shoots a lot of ammo really well. Used 165 to crush the deer. 30-06 hits with authority.

It is true this is a long range forum, but since this will be your first time hunting, you will probably be wise to limit yourself to shooting at a range within your own confidence. If you make a good shot in the "Boiler Room" area, you don't have to worry about the 30-06 lacking power or penetration. It will lay critters on the ground. Just make sure you shoot the front and not the back and you will have a dead critter most likely in less than 50 yards.

The 30-06 is still a good all around cartridge after over a hundred years . I still have a few unopened box's of Twin Cities Ordnance Plant 175 gr .30 M2 rounds . They will never be used just for keep sakes now . The 1:10 is standard for them and not a thing wrong with it so many of us just like to experiment and play around with new chamberings and not any thing wrong with that either . You can find factory loads in many different bullet weights for different types of hunting nearly any where you go in the world still to this day . I think that the only other 30 cal. that might compare to it as to availability with not an excessive amount of recoil may be the 308 . We each have our own ideas as to what constitutes long range for some it's 1000 plus yards but for others it may only be 500 yards and with the 30-06 600 - 700 is long range but there have been confirmed kills made at longer ranges with it . Enjoy your 30-06 and spending time with your family .

I don't have any wildcats or exotic calibers (unless you consider 300 WBY and 338LM)
I have almost every caliber from 22-250 to 375 H&H. When I go hunting most of the times I take the 30.06. Took the 300WBY to Africa for plains game and it was too much gun.
I love my 30.06 and I reload according to what I am hunting. 150 grn for Texas deer, 180 grn for CO Elk.
Enjoy the rifle and have fun huting.

I have ordered a 30-06 custom from Weatherby about a month ago.
I plan on shooting for fun and mostly targets.
But I will be learning to hunt. At 67 I figure it's never to late to learn, and I have a very experienced stepson to help.
(ELK)
But with what I'm seeing these days i must have chosen the wrong cartridge.
Maybe I should have gone 6.5 Cm or the new 6.8.
Or the 270 weatherby.
Your opinions are the reason for the post.
Newguy
Go with it. You'll do fine. I'm making shots now that I wouldn't have tried decades ago! The 06 will give what you ask of it.