30-06??

No..I think you chose right...about 10 years ago I bought a Blaser R8 and a few barrels, to take on safari--as a friend of mine and I would be sharing a rifle. I was offered a great deal on a semi wight barrel in the good ol 30-06. I had never been a big fan of the 30-06--but took the deal and worked up a few loads, what I found was a pleasurable to shoot, hard hitting caliber--that hit game way harder than the soft punch to my shoulder seemed. Funny on that safari I used it for 5 one shot kills, on game as big as Gemsbok and Blue Wildebeest. I also used it on whitetail the next year. The 30-06 is one of those anywhere, anytime, anyplace kind of rounds...not much it can't do pretty good. Welcome and good hunting--wishing you years of hunting success!!!!
Wow thank you.
From what I'm seeing here it seems like it can be good to 600 yards...when I am of course 🙂

Not helpful but thanks anyway.
Maybe new guys to the sport aren't allowed.
Or maybe they were looking for opinions on a longer range round.
P.S. been shooting since I was 7.
Sir most of would be glad to have ya around ,some of the comments post on here you got to just shake your head,,,THANKS for joining,,welcome aboard ..Sir

Wow thank you.
From what I'm seeing here it seems like it can be good to 600 yards...when I am of course 🙂
I wouldn't doubt if it will go farther than that. I know guys have shot the 215 Berger out of 308's with great results. So a 215 out of a 30-06 should also extend your range. I know I'll try a few 215's when my 30-06 AI is ready.

I have ordered a 30-06 custom from Weatherby about a month ago.
I plan on shooting for fun and mostly targets.
But I will be learning to hunt. At 67 I figure it's never to late to learn, and I have a very experienced stepson to help.
(ELK)
But with what I'm seeing these days i must have chosen the wrong cartridge.
Maybe I should have gone 6.5 Cm or the new 6.8.
Or the 270 weatherby.
Your opinions are the reason for the post.
Newguy
I'm running my Winchester model 70 in the 3006 with a 1/12 twist barrel Hornady brass 58 grains of H 4350 pushing a 150 grain Nosler partition using a CCIBR 2 primer it is very accurate I've never even chronograph the load yet sorry I can't give you velocity

But I will be learning to hunt. At 67 I figure it's never to late to learn, and I have a very experienced stepson to help.
(ELK)
Or the 270 weatherby.
Newguy
Welcome R-Dog! The 30-06 is a very good choice! Capable of taking most any N.A. game. You chose wisely. At 67, your just a young buck. Best of luck with your new hunting adventures. Also, there is an "ignore" setting, for weeding out the fools.

Last edited:
I love the 30-06. I use mine every year. They got a whole lot right with that cartridge, and that is why it is still very popular. It may not be the best option for shooting a dinosaur at 3,000 miles, but for all practical ranges on all reasonable animals or targets, it will serve you well, and you'll have a cartridge with real history. I hope you share a picture of your new rifle when you get your hands on it, there are plenty of us here who love Weatherby rifles.

Everyone loves the new Kool-Aid caliber. Then somebody always spikes the Kool-Aid with alcohol. Nothing wrong with cool calibers.

The 30-06 is like going back to Water, absolutely refreshing.

I learned to shoot 35 years ago with my Winchester 70 in 30-06. I still love the caliber today. I know the day is coming when I will want to give up the big shoulder thumping Magnums and move back to hunting with my first love, the 30-06.

I believe it is the perfect caliber for hunting large game with a light recoil.

30-06 is a great choice, if your shooting factory ammo for practice it is about as cheap as it gets. I reload and shoot a lot of 125 grain rounds every year. Mild recoil and it kills rocks and steel as good as anything. For hunting I use 150 and 165 grain bullets, personal preference but I don't hunt with any bullet or cartridge that isn't going around 3000 fps or faster. I'm not holding my breath but hope some of American Eagle and Winchester 30-06 ammo shows up with a decent price. I need to restock, Enjoy the new rifle.

Last edited:
30-06 is an excellent choice . Bullet selection is very respectable. I'd bet money that a 30-06 is probably more capable of shooting long range than most of the shooters anyhow.
When I was a teenager and was starting to help dad reload he told me that if you want the best bullet selection available stick with a 30 cal . I'd say the old man pretty well nailed that on the head.
And yeah I know the 6.5 bullets can be blown through a Dixie straw and kill elk sized game out to a mile 🤣🤣

(ELK)
Or the 270 weatherby.
Newguy
30-06 is a very fine cartridge that will do and has killed more animals than one can think.
165 gr for whitetails or 180 for elk. Will do any thing you want.

i Like most people have an assortment of rifles, but the gun I hunt with 80% of the time is the ole 06. Been using for almost 45 years and they just kill really good from 0-500 yard.

30/06 is always a great choice! Pair it quality bullet and just about everything roaming around is on the menu. Personally, I use 230g Berger OTM in my old Winchester model 70 and have taken whitetail deer out past 700. It'll punch steel just fine quite a fair bit further. Get yourself a reputable piece of glass, mine wears a huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20 with a couple of custom turrets.
The most important part is that you enjoy your time in the field!