30-06??

R-Dog

I have ordered a 30-06 custom from Weatherby about a month ago.
I plan on shooting for fun and mostly targets.
But I will be learning to hunt. At 67 I figure it's never to late to learn, and I have a very experienced stepson to help.
(ELK)
But with what I'm seeing these days i must have chosen the wrong cartridge.
Maybe I should have gone 6.5 Cm or the new 6.8.
Or the 270 weatherby.
Your opinions are the reason for the post.
Newguy

The .30-06 is an excellent hunting cartridge. Though it is old and there's a lot of new options, the old '06 can still get the job done. With modern bullets and powders, the .30-06 really is a great mid sized cartridge for big game hunting. Some of the modern factory ammunition also really gives the .30-06 a boost. If you plan to reload then you can really get some awesome performance. Depending on what ranges you will be hunting, I would look into bullets that fall in the 180-210gr weight range. I would be looking at the 180gr and 205gr Berger Elite Hunters, Sierra's 180gr Tipped GameKing, Hornady 200gr ELD-X, and Nosler's 200gr Accubond. For powder, I would choose Alliant RL23 or RL26 and also look for H4831sc. If you don't plan to reload, I would find a premium loading from Federal, Sierra, Nosler, or Hornady.

there is nothing wrong with your choice there have probably been more game animals of all sizes taken with the 30-06 than any other you wont be a 1000 yard stomper with it but to 6-700 you will do just fine with proper bullet selection and practice and believe it or not 600 yards is long range when hunting so practice alot and get very familiar with the ballistics of your chosen weapon and ammo

Last edited:
Just to be clear, this is Long Range Hunting dot

Just to be clear, this is Long Range Hunting dot com and not Shooting 101.
Not helpful but thanks anyway.
Maybe new guys to the sport aren't allowed.
Or maybe they were looking for opinions on a longer range round.
P.S. been shooting since I was 7.

there is nothing wrong with your choice there have probably been more game animals of all sizes taken with the 30-06 that any other you wont be a 1000 yard stomper with it but to 6-700 you will do just fine with proper bullet selection and practice and believe it or not 600 yards is long range when hunting so practice alot and get very familiar with the ballistics of your chosen weapon and ammo
Thank you. Though I have been shooting for fun for years. The hunting prospect is new.
Figure to take it easy and leatn.

I agree on the 178 AH or even the 162AH. I'm planning on building a 30-06AI and I've had many of the newest and greatest. But I started with a 30-06 and I don't have one now. With the bullets and powders available now I think it will be a great 5-600 yd gun. IMHO you made a good choice going with the 30-06.

No..I think you chose right...about 10 years ago I bought a Blaser R8 and a few barrels, to take on safari--as a friend of mine and I would be sharing a rifle. I was offered a great deal on a semi wight barrel in the good ol 30-06. I had never been a big fan of the 30-06--but took the deal and worked up a few loads, what I found was a pleasurable to shoot, hard hitting caliber--that hit game way harder than the soft punch to my shoulder seemed. Funny on that safari I used it for 5 one shot kills, on game as big as Gemsbok and Blue Wildebeest. I also used it on whitetail the next year. The 30-06 is one of those anywhere, anytime, anyplace kind of rounds...not much it can't do pretty good. Welcome and good hunting--wishing you years of hunting success!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 251