30-06??

I have ordered a 30-06 custom from Weatherby about a month ago.
I plan on shooting for fun and mostly targets.
But I will be learning to hunt. At 67 I figure it's never to late to learn, and I have a very experienced stepson to help.
(ELK)
But with what I'm seeing these days i must have chosen the wrong cartridge.
Maybe I should have gone 6.5 Cm or the new 6.8.
Or the 270 weatherby.
Your opinions are the reason for the post.
Newguy
Actually you made a very good choice with the proper ammo the old 06 is capable of taking down practically anything in North America, my advice is to practice shooting until you're grouping your shots constantly at various ranges and don't try to take an animal at extreme ranges, keep it under 500 yds. until you're sure you can place your shot, remember bullet placement is the key to clean kills. Good hunting

I have to chuckle to myself when I see people state that the 30/06 will probably be OK out to 500-600 yards. The comment made that the 30/06 is more capable at long range than most shooters is dead on. The reason I chuckle is because when I was growing up the 30/06 (along with the 7mm Rem Mag and the various 300 Magnums) was one of the calibers recommended for long range shooting and hunting out to 1,000 yards. Now with all of the "new" calibers out, the 30/06 is looked down upon as a short to mid range caliber. Has gravity changed? Are game animals now wearing Kevlar or something? Of course not. If skilled shooters could make 800-1000 yard shots with the 30/06 40-50 years ago with subpar optics and ammo (compared to what's available today), then it can still be done today. Attitudes, opinions, and biases doesn't change gravity or the toughness of animals. In the hands of a skilled shooter, topped with good optics and loaded with premium ammo, the 30/06 is more than capable for long range hunting. And before anyone thinks I'm a 30/06 fanboi, I don't even own one now.

Congratulations! The 30-06 has been around for so long because it's just plain good. Since you've been shooting for a while- I'm not going to insult you with a novel's worth of data and "He said- They said". There are many excellent loads for the '06 and bullet weights in the 175-210 gr range will suit you well and will allow that rifle to shine! If you reload- then you are a big step ahead.
If you go with over the counter stuff then you will be able to find quality ammo to suit your needs. Prices are higher than Willie and Snoop Dog in the back of Willie's bus- but until the "panic" buying stops- the prices will continue to be unreasonable.
Good luck with your hunting and keep in mind- it's more about finding ways to spend in God's creation with family and friends than anything else!

You made a great choice with the '06, 175-185 bergers will get the job done to 700 or so, up to you , Had an old lead aircraft mechanic told me about one time in Korea using a M1918 BAR in semi mode he took out an enemy out at what later ranged @1,000+/_100 yds open sights using ball 30-06, so don't be concerned about your choice.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The old military rifles had sites that a layman could do 1200 plus. Love them old rifles. Of course I do have a brand new plastic thing but like the old wood too.

But I will be learning to hunt. At 67 I figure it's never to late to learn, and I have a very experienced stepson to help.
(ELK)
Or the 270 weatherby.
Newguy
Negative my friend that is an all-around awesome gun. you don't need anything else.
if it kicks too much for you then consider the Creedmoor

If it kicks to much you can always load 110gr and 125gr bullets that's what I load in mine and use it often as a Varmint- Coyote -Hog gun
a full case of 4895 will send those 110gr 3700fps doesn't that sound like fun. You can even reduce the loads down to 60% with 4895.

Dean

(ELK)
Or the 270 weatherby.
Newguy

My suggestion; Unless you've got a 4 wheeler handy, never shoot anything that you don't want to carry very far. I'm setting up a Rem 30-06 for my son. IMO, the Weatherby will serve you well with the proper loads appropriate for your hunt.

Seriously jasonco ???
NOT COOL !!!

Not sure if you are aware of it, but......if you put the cursor under the member's name "jasonco" there will be a drop box that will come down with a menu. And...within that menu there is a box titled "IGNORE", and that ends ever to read denigrating/disparaging statements from that member again. Might want to try it, worked quite well with this one.👍👍👍 It's really good to see all the members here rallying about the OP, good group of guys on here.