30-06

You know the SAAMI pressures for 30-06 which is 60,000 psi were set a very very long time ago. I'm thinking now with the advances in metallurgy, propellants, and modern bullet designs the 06 can definitely be pushed a lot more than specified now. You guys have me thinking now where I need to work out some loads now. @beretzs , am really looking forward to your range report .

How do you like the 20 inch barrel on a 06? I've looked at Remington 20inch threaded sps for some time now.whats the heavies bullets you have been able to shoot and stabilize to what range?

My 308 is a 20" barrel, my 30-06 is 22".

I like the 20" alot. I don't lose much velocity to a longer one. Very handy in the woods with the shorter barrels.

Just did a 300 win mag with a 26" and brake, so it is a little long for the VA woods.

Last edited:
I took both of the loads directly to 300 last night. It's been wicked hot out here so I snuck out when the temp finally dropped to about 90.

56.5 was first up

I was pretty danged pleased with this. So I gave the rifle a little time to cool down and shot the next charge.

Pretty decent overall. I may try to shorten this one a little as it looks like I have a bit of 2-1 going on but overall I'm pretty happy with the combo.

It's a fairly light rifle, right at 8lbs or so, so I'm about at my max as far as accuracy. Meaning, I don't think I could do much better than how the rifle was shooting anyhow.

I'll shorten the next couple loads up a little and see what happens but I'd be pretty happy to hunt this load.

This was also the guns first run out after the Tubbs Final Finish so it seems like it'll shoot. The Tubbs saved this rifle from a trip to the gunsmiths to become a Whelen...

I took both of the loads directly to 300 last night. It's been wicked hot out here so I snuck out when the temp finally dropped to about 90.

56.5 was first up

I was pretty danged pleased with this. So I gave the rifle a little time to cool down and shot the next charge.

Pretty decent overall. I may try to shorten this one a little as it looks like I have a bit of 2-1 going on but overall I'm pretty happy with the combo.

It's a fairly light rifle, right at 8lbs or so, so I'm about at my max as far as accuracy. Meaning, I don't think I could do much better than how the rifle was shooting anyhow.

I'll shorten the next couple loads up a little and see what happens but I'd be pretty happy to hunt this load.

This was also the guns first run out after the Tubbs Final Finish so it seems like it'll shoot. The Tubbs saved this rifle from a trip to the gunsmiths to become a Whelen...
Looks good for sure I might have to pick up a 30-06 as well

I love my 30-06. It's a tikka t3 lite, bought it as my first rifle 14 years ago.

Just got into reloading this summer. With the slow twist, I'm loving my 155gr scenar loads. Extremely mild recoil which is needed for me in this light gun, great BC has allowed me to extend my effective range in the wind. My loads are with ramshot hunter, moving right along at 3020 fps with zero pressure signs.

This is 6 or 7 shots at 100 (don't remember exactly).

Have taken it to 600 with 7/8 hits on a deer vital sized gong, with 10-15mph wind. My first foray into long(ish) range and I am seeing no problem with my 30-06 stretching out a bit.

Attachments

• 183E3AA7-6CEE-4453-9035-C74BA69E6EAB.jpeg
    183E3AA7-6CEE-4453-9035-C74BA69E6EAB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 176
I love my 30-06. It's a tikka t3 lite, bought it as my first rifle 14 years ago.

Just got into reloading this summer. With the slow twist, I'm loving my 155gr scenar loads. Extremely mild recoil which is needed for me in this light gun, great BC has allowed me to extend my effective range in the wind. My loads are with ramshot hunter, moving right along at 3020 fps with zero pressure signs.

This is 6 or 7 shots at 100 (don't remember exactly).

Have taken it to 600 with 7/8 hits on a deer vital sized gong, with 10-15mph wind. My first foray into long(ish) range and I am seeing no problem with my 30-06 stretching out a bit.
Thanks for your input.and looks like your getting a good load there

I'm pretty sure it depends to a great extent what powder you are running as to how well it will perform as well as the bullets design and weight .

Well, my curiosity kinda got the best of me. Jorey and I, along with a few others were bad mouthing the old 30-06 and somebody put up some charts and I got to looking at them and thought maybe the 06 has some steam to push some of the newer higher BC'ed bullets. So I went out for a ride on the scoot and stopped at my local bait and bullet store to see what they had. I scored 7lbs of the VV N570 powder, 8lb jug of Staball 6.5, a box of 212 ELD X and a box of Sierra 300 SBT for my 375.

It's nice to have bags!

So off to home I went.

I sized up some fired Lapua cases and measured the distance to the lands in my P64 with an ELD. Went 3.415 to the lands. I said to myself, this just may work. I know my guns functions best at 3.4 or under so they'll have a little jump. I checked Hodgdons data and started with their minimum charge and fired it over the Magnetospeed.

50 grains was the min

That went 2400 so I kept loading 1 and shooting see where it went. Well, I pushed past their max load, which I wouldn't suggest for new loaders, but having an accurate chrono makes me feel okay with loading to their speeds and since it's loaded to about 59k PSI I knew I had a little wiggle room at the top.

I stopped at 58 which is a full 4 grains over their max change and almost 100 FPS faster. So once I had some data I wanted to work in the 2650-2700 range.

I dropped back to 56 and went up to 57.6 and came up with two nodes in there that look pretty good.

I loaded 6 rounds each of 56.5 and 57.3.

Just for notes if you're tracking I also used CCI250's for a primer.

So I haven't ran it through a calc yet, but a .676 BC doesn't fair too bad at distance. And 2700 will never tear one up.

I think you could do about the same with a 280 and the 180 ELD as well which'll whoop them 06 some but they aren't too far off.

Hopefully I can shoot it soon and I'll report back. It'd be kinda neat if they shot decent. That's a pretty powerful combo really and not horribly slow either. I can't imagine many elk or deer that'd shrug one off and if they shot decent I'd be willing to take it into elk country.

I figured this might be interesting for the 06 talk on here. Sorry, I'd already posted it on Nosler but it seemed to fit.
The 208gr ELDM doing around 2650 fps is the Hammer of Thor in the 30-06. The fact that you got the 212 gr over 2700 is impressive, and it will be a freight train on whichever animal it hits.

The 208gr ELDM doing around 2650 fps is the Hammer of Thor in the 30-06. The fact that you got the 212 gr over 2700 is impressive, and it will be a freight train on whichever animal it hits.

I loaded up a few more to try out and refine the zero some. So far I think this might be the contender to head to Wyoming this fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts