30-06

SamuelBerryhill308

Asking this for my dad what is the max effective range on elk size game and deer size game with a 30-06 and how many more yards can you get out of it vs a 308

There are so many variables to consider , altitude , air temperature , air density , bullet weight , bullet speed , bullet design the shooters ability ect. . Often the two , 30-06 and 308 are quite compatible with each other depending on the powder and loading of the cartridge . Myself I wouldn't want to go much past 600 yards on any game animal with either of these calibers , some may not want to go that far and some may want to reach out farther with them .

Asking this for my dad what is the max effective range on elk size game and deer size game with a 30-06 and how many more yards can you get out of it vs a 308

I agree with DSheetz! Tell us what you're "actual" load off your rifles instead. "My" unwritten rule for elk size game is 1500 FT-LBS and the minimum velocity of the bullet to expand effectively at POI.

ADDED: Below is factory ammo .30-06 from HSM. "If" 1800 FPS is the minimum velocity threshold, it would look something like at my altitude ...

168 VLD = 2790 FPS/2842 FT-LBS at the muzzle; 525Y/1914 FPS/1512 FT-LBS

210 VLD = 2534 FPS/2995 FT-LBS at the muzzle; 650Y/1803 FPS/1516 FT-LBS

Last edited:
That's kind of what I was thanking 500 to 550 or so and he uses factory ammo in both right now both loaded with hornady superformance sst 165 grain. His 30-06 is Winchester model 70 I believe 24 inch barrel. And we hunt in nc in foot hills and mountains.we are hoping to go to ky or some were in couple years for elk hunting.and I will be hand loading for his rifle after I've got loads worked up for mine which has been going slow since I just started hand loading one or two months ago

Handloading is fun! But it also feels like a blackhole sometimes. There's always a nother tool or technique to try in order to get lower SDs and better accuracy. I actually got rid of my gear because right now I don't have the time to tweak loads, test, and then keep repeating. I will get back into it at some point, but not right now. Anyway, point of this is to say I'd recommend you work up a load other than SST for elk. They work well on deer, but the general consensus is that you will be better served with a tougher bullet like an Accubond, Partition, Interbond, Copper, etc. Just a thought for you to consider..

Handloading is fun! But it also feels like a blackhole sometimes. There's always a nother tool or technique to try in order to get lower SDs and better accuracy. I actually got rid of my gear because right now I don't have the time to tweak loads, test, and then keep repeating. I will get back into it at some point, but not right now. Anyway, point of this is to say I'd recommend you work up a load other than SST for elk. They work well on deer, but the general consensus is that you will be better served with a tougher bullet like an Accubond, Partition, Interbond, Copper, etc. Just a thought for you to consider..
Yes your right it is fun.and yea for elk we'll be trying nosler accubond and partition and ttsx and GMX or e tips.i a going to try hammers hopefully soon in my rifle I have now and in other calibers in future if I like them

Re-population of Elk in KY is a great conservation model. Enjoy that hunt! I suspect your shots are going to be 300-500 yds and easily within 30-06 capabilities using the right bullet. I don't reload and shoot 180 gr Nosler ammo Partitions and occasionally Accubonds in my .300 H&H with really good results. Its an older (1957) Model 70 and I'm comfortable with it out to 600 yds.

I use nothing but Remington Core-lokt 165 grainers for hunting elk. I don't reload my hunting rounds because I bought a bunch of ammo when the boxes were $6.99 a box and still have about 200 rounds. My longest elk kill was 438 yards, using a model 110C Savage pre-accutrigger. I was using a 165 grain bullet. At that distance it had more than 1900 pounds of energy. A 308 will probably be 100 pounds of energy less. I would venture to say that the 06 will easily go 550 to 600 yards on elk. No scientific data on my part but this has been my caliber all of my life since I was 10 years old and I am now collecting Social Security. If you are recoil sensitive go with 308.

Well, my curiosity kinda got the best of me. Jorey and I, along with a few others were bad mouthing the old 30-06 and somebody put up some charts and I got to looking at them and thought maybe the 06 has some steam to push some of the newer higher BC'ed bullets. So I went out for a ride on the scoot and stopped at my local bait and bullet store to see what they had. I scored 7lbs of the VV N570 powder, 8lb jug of Staball 6.5, a box of 212 ELD X and a box of Sierra 300 SBT for my 375.

It's nice to have bags!

So off to home I went.

I sized up some fired Lapua cases and measured the distance to the lands in my P64 with an ELD. Went 3.415 to the lands. I said to myself, this just may work. I know my guns functions best at 3.4 or under so they'll have a little jump. I checked Hodgdons data and started with their minimum charge and fired it over the Magnetospeed.

50 grains was the min

That went 2400 so I kept loading 1 and shooting see where it went. Well, I pushed past their max load, which I wouldn't suggest for new loaders, but having an accurate chrono makes me feel okay with loading to their speeds and since it's loaded to about 59k PSI I knew I had a little wiggle room at the top.

I stopped at 58 which is a full 4 grains over their max change and almost 100 FPS faster. So once I had some data I wanted to work in the 2650-2700 range.

I dropped back to 56 and went up to 57.6 and came up with two nodes in there that look pretty good.

I loaded 6 rounds each of 56.5 and 57.3.

Just for notes if you're tracking I also used CCI250's for a primer.

So I haven't ran it through a calc yet, but a .676 BC doesn't fair too bad at distance. And 2700 will never tear one up.

I think you could do about the same with a 280 and the 180 ELD as well which'll whoop them 06 some but they aren't too far off.

Hopefully I can shoot it soon and I'll report back. It'd be kinda neat if they shot decent. That's a pretty powerful combo really and not horribly slow either. I can't imagine many elk or deer that'd shrug one off and if they shot decent I'd be willing to take it into elk country.

I figured this might be interesting for the 06 talk on here. Sorry, I'd already posted it on Nosler but it seemed to fit.

Well, my curiosity kinda got the best of me. Jorey and I, along with a few others were bad mouthing the old 30-06 and somebody put up some charts and I got to looking at them and thought maybe the 06 has some steam to push some of the newer higher BC'ed bullets. So I went out for a ride on the scoot and stopped at my local bait and bullet store to see what they had. I scored 7lbs of the VV N570 powder, 8lb jug of Staball 6.5, a box of 212 ELD X and a box of Sierra 300 SBT for my 375.

It's nice to have bags!

So off to home I went.

I sized up some fired Lapua cases and measured the distance to the lands in my P64 with an ELD. Went 3.415 to the lands. I said to myself, this just may work. I know my guns functions best at 3.4 or under so they'll have a little jump. I checked Hodgdons data and started with their minimum charge and fired it over the Magnetospeed.

50 grains was the min

That went 2400 so I kept loading 1 and shooting see where it went. Well, I pushed past their max load, which I wouldn't suggest for new loaders, but having an accurate chrono makes me feel okay with loading to their speeds and since it's loaded to about 59k PSI I knew I had a little wiggle room at the top.

I stopped at 58 which is a full 4 grains over their max change and almost 100 FPS faster. So once I had some data I wanted to work in the 2650-2700 range.

I dropped back to 56 and went up to 57.6 and came up with two nodes in there that look pretty good.

I loaded 6 rounds each of 56.5 and 57.3.

Just for notes if you're tracking I also used CCI250's for a primer.

So I haven't ran it through a calc yet, but a .676 BC doesn't fair too bad at distance. And 2700 will never tear one up.

I think you could do about the same with a 280 and the 180 ELD as well which'll whoop them 06 some but they aren't too far off.

Hopefully I can shoot it soon and I'll report back. It'd be kinda neat if they shot decent. That's a pretty powerful combo really and not horribly slow either. I can't imagine many elk or deer that'd shrug one off and if they shot decent I'd be willing to take it into elk country.

I figured this might be interesting for the 06 talk on here. Sorry, I'd already posted it on Nosler but it seemed to fit.
Looks like some good loads out of a 06 may have to buy one for my self due to all I have right now is 308s

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.