30-06 Small Base Die Question

Muddyboots

So like most of us, I pushed some 06 brass and have some web expansion that results in hard feed. So would it be worth running the brass thru a small base die to recover it? I have enough reloading gizmos that didn't work so curious if anyone has used a small base die to save some brass.? I really don't want to buy a small base die unless someone says heck yeah it worked great!

Since good brass is premium, like to get few more reloads out of it.

And yes, my load is backed off.

I haven't had any issues using standard dies in my bolt action 30-06's. I've yet to use small base dies in even my semi autos. YMMV.

Update: Semi auto 5.56 and 7.62.

A small base will work...unless the brass has took a "set".....if it has just get used to clickers or get new brass.

Edit to add..
Typically hard to feed isn't a case web issue unless it's really really bad.

Last edited:
I used a Redding SB in 223 Rem and it works as advertised - there's a measurable change in the body above the case head. Don't know why it wouldn't work in the -06.

Not sure if it would show up in calipers at the .200 line but it might, I used an anvil mic but I have this tool and it's fairly repeatable:

I use a Redding .223 small base die as a first step in making .20P ammo using once fired .223 brass (fired in unknown chamber(s)). Occasionally, there is an over dimensioned case that when fired sticks in the chamber so tightly that the rim gets ripped off & the case needs to be driven out of the chamber with a rod - the small base die fixes this. If new brass is fired in a chamber, there should be little case expansion to warrant the use of a small base die with a bolt gun. I use once fired 6.5CM brass for my 6mm & 6.5mm CM bolt guns. I use Lee 6.5 CM F/L die without expander to initially size this brass then neck down or expand necks with 6.5CM & 6CM Lee collet dies. I have found Lee F/L dies to have close inner dimensions as small base dies.

Last edited:
A small base die isn't going to fix loose primer pockets, but it may help to eliminate clickers for a few more firings. Small base body dies are semi-cheap.
I just want to save some brass that I pushed a bit. Pockets still good. If I can get few more loads then guess worth it. I did find one new for $20 so going to grab it. If I only use it once in a while, be worth it. Was just curious if small base dies had neg feedback for some peculiar reason.

I just want to save some brass that I pushed a bit. Pockets still good. If I can get few more loads then guess worth it. I did find one new for $20 so going to grab it. If I only use it once in a while, be worth it. Was just curious if small base dies had neg feedback for some peculiar reason.

I use SB dies all the time for various competition bolt rifles with. For my particular use, the SB die returns the brass closer to virgin dimensions.