30-06 Small Base Die for .270?

Muddyboots

Friend of mine got of reloading years ago and found he still had a 30-06 small base die from his Garand. I was wondering why not use it for .270 to reform web area on some brass? Then run it thru .270 FL as usual? Did I imbibe too much last night with this thought?

Last edited:
Bob, my thought was to use the 06 small base die to reform some .270 Win brass to reset the web area. The shoulder difference is more what I am thinking will mess this up. The neck of the .270 will not be touched and maybe if I adjust it might work. The intent is to rework .270 brass in the 06 small base die. Trying to save some .270 brass.

Bob, my thought was to use the 06 small base die to reform some .270 Win brass to reset the web area. The shoulder difference is more what I am thinking will mess this up. The neck of the .270 will not be touched and maybe if I adjust it might work. The intent is to rework .270 brass in the 06 small base
I just happen to have the PDF for SAAMI. Attached...I went into guessing mode and didn't feel I was helping you Muddy. See if this satisfies.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220101-155122_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220101-155122_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20220101-155142_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220101-155142_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 53
the body shoulder are in the same location and diameter, the web is also the same diameter you wont have a problem just adjust for minimal shoulder bump and then finish with your 270 die

Bib, thx, the drawings show shoulder dimension is really close and if I am careful with die, I should (may) be able to reform the typical web expansion. WTHello might as well try and post up results. Nothing really to lose.

Seems like it should work. Remove the recapping rod and expander ball.

I've got a small base die set for 270 Win I'd be willing to loan or sell. RCBS. I think I used it to size about 20 shells before I realized my normal die set worked just fine for my BAR.

Seems like it should work. Remove the recapping rod and expander ball.

I've got a small base die set for 270 Win I'd be willing to loan or sell. RCBS. I think I used it to size about 20 shells before I realized my normal die set worked just fine for my BAR.
PM inbound,
Thx

Just to clarify, it will work perfectly as is, the only difference between the two is neck length, 270 neck is .050" longer.
I often run belted mags through larger belted mag dies so just the web is touched to tighten them up.

Cheers.