30-06 shooters Question

Greg Duerr

For those of you who shoot the 06 using a 150gr bullet what is your accuracy/velocity powder? What kind of velocity and accuracy are you getting.?

I quit shooting 150s when I got bit by the longrange bug lol.but I had good luck with imr 4064 50gr.s at 2900 and imr4350 at 58gr. At about the same velocity..

The only thing I've shot in my .30-06 AI is Berger 185 VLD's... I can't imagine shooting anything smaller than a 168 in a .30 caliber. Especially 150 or lighter...I bet a 125 grain .30 cal bullet would be almost as long as it is wide. It would be like shooting a musket ball from a metallic case. LOL

The only thing I've shot in my .30-06 AI is Berger 185 VLD's... I can't imagine shooting anything smaller than a 168 in a .30 caliber. Especially 150 or lighter...I bet a 125 grain .30 cal bullet would be almost as long as it is wide. It would be like shooting a musket ball from a metallic case. LOL
I like 200,210gr.smks and 208 Amax is my next load in my standard 06...

If mine wasn't a 1:12 twist, I'd develope a load for the Berger 210 VLD. I have quite a few of those sitting around for my .308 Win. It loves them, but they're expensive and hard to find at the moment, so I try to shoot my cheap Nosler 168 & 175 Custom Comps.

For those of you who shoot the 06 using a 150gr bullet what is your accuracy/velocity powder? What kind of velocity and accuracy are you getting.?
I've used from H4895 to H4350 with great results. About 2900fps with groups averaging about .3MOA with minimal load development... and that is using the cheapest 150gr jacketed bullet I could find.

60.0g Norma URP 150g Nosler BT 2983 fps Nosler brass, federal 210 match
56.5g R-17 Hornady 150g SST 2980 fps Nosler brass, federal 210 match
Both can easily go 3,000 fps, but best accuracy is found at the above stated level in MY RIFLE, work up to these loads in YOUR RIFLE!!
The Nosler BT tends to have better overall dimensional tolerance and less fussiness, but the Hornady is just as accurate if sorted by bullet ogive length and seated accordingly with twice as many bullets for roughly the same cost. YMMV.

I've taken white tails out to 450 yards with both of those loads. I prefer the 167g Lapua Scenar at 2900, FWIW, I've used that bullet on deer out to 620 yards with DRT effect from my 06. I'll not post the load of R-17 in Nosler brass with a federal 210 match.
Lately, I've been seduced into trying the 230g Berger OTM at right at 2450 fps in my rifle. I REALLY like that bullet, even at 2450fps it's still super-sonic to 1,400 yards from the 06 and the .719 BC makes for a really forgiving wind read. Which is important here where the wind is always blowing... The 150g bullets don't do near as well in the wind and have more than an inch more drift even at 100 yards than the 230g... Sorry, different thread...
I digress, the 150g can easily hit 3,000 fps, even in 22" barrels and that is good medicine for game taking. I wouldn't worry about using them, they will get the job done if you place them well. Be safe, have fun!!

I have always found that 51.2 grs IMR 4064 has been extremely accurate with many different makers 150 gr bullets. Depending on the individual rifle it will do between 2900 and 3000 fps average. I don't have a scoped bolt 30-06 any more but about three years ago I worked on an inaccurate Mauser Mark X Viscount 30-06 a friend had. I free floated the barrel and glass bedded the action in and replaced the trigger with a Bold adjustable and set it at 2 1/2 lbs. I loaded up a box of ammo with Rem. cases, CCI-BR primers, 51.2 grs IMR 4064 and used Sierra 150 gr Pro Hunters, can't remember the COAL. It took three shots to zero the scope. I fired a 5 shot group and it was just one hole about 45 cal. size at 100 yards. I went home and loaded up two boxes of the load and took the target and ammo to my friend and told him "if you miss a deer now it is your fault not the rifles." He has not missed a deer since and can't believe the BANG FLOP effect of this load. He brings me his cases every spring after hunting season to reload for the next season.

30-06 150gr Barnes 53.4gr of IMR 4064 3100fps......................this load has accounted for lots of Deer and Elk.........................................WHY CHANGE> Would a 180 have made any difference, I don't think so.

LOL

I shoot the Nosler ballistic tip 150 gr, hand loaded with 51 gr of Varget powder and get 2950 fp with great accuracy and performance on NV mule deer. I'm new to the long range hunting but have taken muleys with this load to 425 yds with excellent bullet performance. I'm shooting a Weatherby mark5 lightweight synthetic. Of course, loads perform differently in different rifles.

60.0g Norma URP 150g Nosler BT 2983 fps Nosler brass, federal 210 match
56.5g R-17 Hornady 150g SST 2980 fps Nosler brass, federal 210 match
Both can easily go 3,000 fps, but best accuracy is found at the above stated level in MY RIFLE, work up to these loads in YOUR RIFLE!!
The Nosler BT tends to have better overall dimensional tolerance and less fussiness, but the Hornady is just as accurate if sorted by bullet ogive length and seated accordingly with twice as many bullets for roughly the same cost. YMMV.

I've taken white tails out to 450 yards with both of those loads. I prefer the 167g Lapua Scenar at 2900, FWIW, I've used that bullet on deer out to 620 yards with DRT effect from my 06. I'll not post the load of R-17 in Nosler brass with a federal 210 match.
Lately, I've been seduced into trying the 230g Berger OTM at right at 2450 fps in my rifle. I REALLY like that bullet, even at 2450fps it's still super-sonic to 1,400 yards from the 06 and the .719 BC makes for a really forgiving wind read. Which is important here where the wind is always blowing... The 150g bullets don't do near as well in the wind and have more than an inch more drift even at 100 yards than the 230g... Sorry, different thread...
I digress, the 150g can easily hit 3,000 fps, even in 22" barrels and that is good medicine for game taking. I wouldn't worry about using them, they will get the job done if you place them well. Be safe, have fun!!
if you don't mind me asking. Is your rifle that is firing those 230s a 1in10 twist if so what powder are you using, you have me interested in that bullet super sonic to 1400 "yea"....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.