30-06, RL26, 180gr?

I didn't realize it was such an anomaly till I read all the doubters, but my 30-06 180gr NPT RL26 load is

64.1 grains RL26 using a 5" drop funnel
Federal magnum primer
2.696 BTO
3.316 OAL
I believe brass was RP but my notes have H2O capacity at 67.98 grains
2960 FPS

Me too. I've been using a couple of long throat 24" barrled 06's for quite some time, and even with powders from the 80's and 90's, I was achieving 3,000+ fps from 165gr bullets and 2,900+fps with 180's. Some of these were loads using H4350, 4831, MRP, and later loads are R23 and R26. Granted, these are not typical SAAMI throats, but it is still an 06's and not AI.

So i ran Quickload for you with the components you specified. 61 Grains shows 2750 at 47kpsi.
62, 2803, 50Kpsi. 63, 2857, 53.5Kpsi. 64, 2910, 57Kpsi. 64.5, 2947, 59Kpsi. All loads are shown to be pretty compressed, 104% at 61gr, to 109% at 64.5gr, which seems pretty consistent with what you reported.

It would help if you could provide actual case capacity of a fired case in gr. water, Trim Length, actual Bullet Length, and of course actual velocities at these charges.

Also, quickload shows RL 26 as the top velocity powder for this combo. I set it to 60Kpsi and 109% case fill, and even though RL26 reaches max case fill before max pressure, it still shows the highest velocity by a good margin. RL 17 shows 2878 at 99%, RL16 shows 2862 at 104%.

Great thread Stammster! This thread should provide food for thought to those who are inclined to think the venerable 30-06 is obsolete or requires AI or other mods to perform... For years I have held the belief that 30-06 has only begun to reach its true potential with the advent of modern powders and high BC projectiles. That said, I recommend those who like to toy with modification and wildcatting keep up their fun! Riflemen are great sports!

Anyone running RL26 in a 30-06 with a 180gr Partition or Accubond?

I'm thinking somewhere around 2900 fps would be nice to reach out and touch some elk out to about 700 yds.

Kimber 84L, 24". Match chamber.

I've been loading H4350 under 30-06 165s for years, but have had impressive results recently with RL26 in 270 win with 145s and 150s. I'm thinking the RL could really perk up the 30-06 with 180s.

How about a quickload simulation?

Years ago, I was using a factory load from Federal, called High Energy. It was advertised to get 2880 fps with the Nosler 180-grain Partition, and I got exactly that velocity in my 24" barreled 30-06. It was extremely accurate in my rifle, and I shot a boatload of animals with that load. I wish that I had bought a case of it, because they no longer load it. I realize that they had a lot of fancy technology that was not available to reloaders, but all these years later a lot of that has trickled down to our level. Reloader 26 may be a powder that will get you that level of performance, if you can vibrate enough of it into the case to generated your desired velocity.

Here's another angle for you to consider : If you fall short of reaching the 2900 fps you're looking for, what you might find is that with the slow-burning powders, maybe the 200-grain Partitions can be pushed darn near as fast as a 180. When I was trying to duplicate the Federal load's velocity with the 180-grain Partition, I fell short of 2880. I maxed out at around 2800. The 200's would do 2775 with H-4831, and accuracy was good to boot. I looked at some trajectory tables and that was actually a flatter-shooting load than the 180 at just slightly higher velocity, due to having a better BC, and there was more striking energy with the heavier bullet. I can't recall the charge weight, but the short-cut powder kernels were what enabled me to get it all into the cartridge. ( The regular H-4831 wouldn't fit, and still leave room for a bullet.) I've read that the RL 26 is a pretty dense powder, so you may be able to do this with it. I'm interested in seeing your results. Good luck.

I shoot 180 accubonds with rl16 in a 24" sako 30-06. They run 2880 FPS. Excellent load holds under 3/4 MOA further than I shoot that rifle at game.

Deleted and started different thread. I didn't want to hijack this one. It's really good!

Last edited:
My notes showed one of my 30-06's getting 2845fps with 180gr Ballistic Tip,Win. Case,WLRM Primer,55.0grs Ramshot Big Game Powder.

Another good check for pressure besides QL, etc, is measure a new unfurled cases web diameter and then measure after firing. .001-.0015 expansion is probably a good stopping point. You can do the same on a factory round before and after firing. For liability purposes and a myriad of guns the factory load can be shot in you KNOW they ll most likely be conservative on pressure.

A chronograph as a part of this testing will be very beneficial also. Share your results if you do this. We all like to learn more.
Thx

55.8 grains 210M primer OAL 3.330
Interesting. Any noticeable powder residue in the bore after load testing? I ask because powder residue sent me from WLR to WLRM primers for my RL16 load development.

My velocity is 3036 +/- 10 fps on 58.5 grains but that is also 150 Nosler BT out of 23.6" barrel. Accuracy @ 100 yds is 0.77 moa. Different subject and I dont' want to hijack this excellent thread. Just offering comparison info.

Great thread Stammster! This thread should provide food for thought to those who are inclined to think the venerable 30-06 is obsolete or requires AI or other mods to perform... For years I have held the belief that 30-06 has only begun to reach its true potential with the advent of modern powders and high BC projectiles. That said, I recommend those who like to toy with modification and wildcatting keep up their fun! Riflemen are great sports!
Yep, that's how we learn things and have fun too

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.