30-06 rechamber?

wasgas

I have a 700BDL in 30-06 that has no issues and shoots well, however I don't use it much anymore. I have been throwing around the idea of rechambering it in to something a little more sporty around a 6mm size or????

What would be some good options I do not need anything over a .270cal as I already have to many in the bigger sizes. And I have lots of brass for it already. Should I leave it alone and just shoot it?

Oh I love dreaming with other people's money. :D

6.5x284
25-06
257 Weatherby Magnum
6mm-06

I think I'd go with the 25-06 or 6mm-06 so you can use your old brass. gun)

Hmmm.... well if i were you i would look at something that uses the 30-06 for a parent case so you can still use the brass. Something like a 243 Super Rock Chucker with a 1-8 twist. It will shoot a 95 grain projectile right at 3500fps. Very fun very accurate and very deadly at any range. Good luck on your quest.

I thought the 6mm super rock chucker was a 6mm-06 imp. It would be a good choice. The 240 gibbs is awesome which is all you can get out of a blown out '06 case. Those would be the two hot rods in 6mm using '06 brass. The 240 wby is the same bolt face and would also be an excellent choice. The 243AI is a great one. So many good choices, so few actions.

What do you plan on using this gun for? The first caliber I thought of was the 6mm-06. But, I would like a 6.5-284, so that sounds good too.

What do you plan on using this gun for? The first caliber I thought of was the 6mm-06. But, I would like a 6.5-284, so that sounds good too.

I like the idea of using the -06 cases that I already have and also keeping the same bolt. Is the 6.5-284 based off of the 7mm case? I do not have a Mountain Lion gun and am forced to believe this is why I do not have one on my wall, so it would be a mountain lion gun. I need to fill the gap in my safe between .224 and .277 cals. I hunt in many areas with open terrain that allow for long shots in the desert, but I do not want a dedicated LR rifle, I am looking for a sporting rifle.

The donor gun is an older BDL Mountain with a short sportster barrel. What kind of price range should I expect to pay for a quality barrel installed.

Last edited:
get a kreiger barrel 300 plus 150 to install. 1 in 8.5 twist. get a 6.5-284. do not use any old brass. get new lapua. use h-4350 or re-17. 120 baltip, or 125 partition or whatever you want

I also have a 30-06 that I bought new earlier this year it is a Rem 700 LSS, and I had the barrel cut back to 20" to turn it into a super handy deer/medium game rifle/cartridge combo.

I would love to rebarrel it but I wouldn't go smaller I would go bigger to a 375 Hawk this is 280 Rem brass necked up .375" cal and fire-formed should be able to get a 260gr Accubond with it's .475 BC to 2600fps and be able to easily reach out to 400 yards.

Last edited:
I like the idea of using the -06 cases that I already have and also keeping the same bolt. Is the 6.5-284 based off of the 7mm case? I do not have a Mountain Lion gun and am forced to believe this is why I do not have one on my wall, so it would be a mountain lion gun. I need to fill the gap in my safe between .224 and .277 cals. I hunt in many areas with open terrain that allow for long shots in the desert, but I do not want a dedicated LR rifle, I am looking for a sporting rifle.

The donor gun is an older BDL Mountain with a short sportster barrel. What kind of price range should I expect to pay for a quality barrel installed.

If installing the barrel is ALL you wanted to do, it would be around $650. If you start adding stocks, triggers etc. of course the price would go up......Rich

I'm on the same situation except my -06 got ruined. I'm saving up to make it a 6.5-06 AI shooting 140 gr VLD's....will be my long range do everything up to do deer and target gun. Other option is a 6.5-280AI, but price of dies got me going back to 6.5-06AI. Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide!

If installing the barrel is ALL you wanted to do, it would be around $650. If you start adding stocks, triggers etc. of course the price would go up......Rich

$650 for a barrel blank and installation? What are you having done to that barrel blank besides getting it chambered, threaded and head space set? Most all barrel manufactures blanks are in the $300 range and I have never paid more than $175.00 to have a barrel installed. I guess I missed something somehwere :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.