30-06 re barrel?

My newest toy on a long action 700 will be a fast twist barrel, 27", in 25-284. It's fast twisted to shoot Blackjack 131s, but you can alwaysload the 25 down to 85 gr bullets. Will shoot like a laser, neat cartridge and no recoil!

Your question got me thinking about just how many .30-06s I own.
I'm re- barreling an '03-A3 with a new Criterion barrel, as we speak. .30-06, of course.
When I was just a whippersnapper, I thought that sporterising old military rifles was quite the thing.
Now, returning workable atrocities to near- original condition, seems a better pursuit.

We can scarcely think of long range shooting without a Nightforce this or a Hensoldt that. (Well, maybe not so much Hensoldt, anymore.) There is a whole lot of fun to be had from busting an ice- chest sized rock from 800 yards, using a stock military sight. It is an educational experience.

I remember the old gunsmith who once bent down a bolt handle for me and then showed me his prize rifle, a 6.5-06. By his reckoning, it was the finest of all the wildcats in the lineage. Can't disagree, but I also have an appreciation for all branches of the family tree.

It might be easier to just swap your Model 700 for something you would rather get behind, but that wouldn't be near as interesting as finding out where this path you've already set foot upon, might take you.

i have a remington 700 06 that i don't really enjoy shooting. ideas for a rebarrel to a different caliber?? be for deer or just for fun
My favorites long action std rem 700s are 280ai and 6.5-284. Lots of good calibers out there. Good luck

If you don't care for 30'06, I get it. In certain rifles lots of recoil. Many other suggestions great for performance but for sheer shooting pleasure why not 6.5.55. Notoriously accurate, not a barrel burner, long action, tons of components. Just my $0.02. JB

If I was rebarreling a 30-06 I'd be going to 6.5-06 although I'm a big fan of quarter bore rifles. 25-06 would he another good choice. Should be less felt recoil than the 30 cal.

My lefty rig. 6.5-06 barrel was great, enjoyed it for 10 years. New tube is a 6.5-284. Very easy to get to shoot well. Lapua brass and berger bullets.
Hawk Hill #2.

I'm really up for anything, just looking for something different. i do reload so I'm open to options there. i kind of want a lighter shooting gun, maybe something easy for my wife to shoot?
---
Since you load your own ammo, you already know that you can load for recoil reduction.
It seems then, that what you are really after is something different. Sounds like fun.

An '06 can be loaded as a squirrel rifle, if you so choose.
Keep in mind, any derivative cartridge with the same/approximate powder capacity, will have similar recoil, with the same weight bullets. That goes for any .284 Winchester derivative, as well, with it's case capacity similar to .30-06.
People sell the .270 as having lighter recoil than the .30-06, but that's only because the .270 is typically loaded for deer with a 130 gr. bullet, rather than the .30 cal 150 gr.

Load any of the '06 offshoots for full pressure/performance and they will poke you almost as hard as the .30-06, shooting the same weight bullet. Why only "almost as hard"? Because any .30 cal bullet of given weight can be pushed faster than the same weight bullet driven from a smaller- bored derivative cartridge.

Conversely, .30 cal. bullets can't be driven as fast as the same weight bullet launched from a .338- 06.
It's a matter of pressure in psi, acting against surface area of the bullet base.
(Assuming appropriate rifle powder, producing the optimal pressure curve for each load.)
Larger diameter bullets have a greater surface area for the accelerating gases to push against, all else being equal.

I have .270, 30-06, 35 Whelen, 400 Whelen, and did have a 25-06. All grate cartridges. The only one that would have truly noticeable less recoil would be the 25-06, but I don't no that it would be a huge amount, but it may give you what your looking for. I see that many have said 280 (which is good) but the recoil wont be much less as the 270 is not much less. I have not shot a 6.5-06 so we will have to take the word of the ones that have. My wife has a 270 and my 11 year old son has a 30-06, both of these rifles have every good recoil pads on them and their recoil is a LOT LESS then the recoil of my 270's and 30-06's. It's like entirely different cartridges. So for me one option would be a 270 or 30-06 fast twist barrel and a good recoil pad, that would be getting less recoil and best with new high BC bullets. As stated before you can all so down load reduce recoil and still have a good hunting load. The other chose for me would be to go up as I like larger bores. The 338-06 and 35 Whelen don't have much more recoil and of cores and good recoil pad will take care of that. The 400 Whelen is a very fun cartridge and has very manageable recoil it will be more then your looking for. So my best recommendation for less recoil is a good recoil pad like a decelerator or limbsaver.

In reviewing what you are going to use the rifle for the 25 '06 is the way to go. It is an easy conversion, and a wonderful caliber to shoot. I have owned several over the years and easy on the shoulder, incredibly accurate, and fun to shoot. It will make a great rifle for your wife as well as a super deer rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.