30-06 re barrel?

I'm really up for anything, just looking for something different. i do reload so I'm open to options there. i kind of want a lighter shooting gun, maybe something easy for my wife to shoot?
I was in the exact same situation and went with the good old 270 win and shoot 130s. I couldn't be happier! 25-06 is another good option, but I liked having more off-the-shelf ammo options. If I loaded my own, I would have likely gone with 6.5-06. It's a great cartridge and also unique and a good conversation piece at the range, if that's a factor for you.

As someone that owns darn near every 6.5 configuration out there, I'll also throw a vote for the 6.5-284 based on what you're looking to do.

I would also suggest 6.5-06 AI. It's lighter on recoil than a 30-06 and it's wonderfully flat shooting and super versatile. I brought back a Sako Deluxe 30-06 from Germany when I was stationed there. I converted mine to 6.5-06 AI and never looked back. I've taken many antelope, deer, and elk with it at both short and long range. There are tons of projectile options and Lapua brass if you don't mind turning necks. If you aren't into turning necks, you can quickly expand 25-06 brass and fireform with a light load.

light recoil, deer getter, good for wifie.. 257 Roberts AI, 25-06, 270 Win W/muzzle brake, or without.. your choice. 6.5-06, 6MM-06, 6MM rem AI, or block the back of the mag well and go short cases 243 win, 260 rem, 7MM-08, 270-08, 250-3000, 300 savage, 32 rem, 35 rem, 338 federal, okay I have run out of cartridges I know will be light recoil and shoot deer well.

6.5 rpm or 6mm rem ai with a fast twist barrel. Both would be pretty flat shooting and have tons of high bc bullets available.

My vote would be for the 25-06 or the 280 in either standard or AI.
My favorite go-to hunting rig is a 280, 700 Mtn Rifle. Crazy accurate with handloads and has never failed me. Jack rabbits to 6 1/2' black bears. But with that said, my 25-06 is right on it heels as my favorite for Mule deer on down.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.